Saturday, February 4, 2017

In Memoriam

My Sweetie's name was Rick, and he was my rock. He died peacefully on Wednesday afternoon on February 1st surrounded by his family.  He was a fighter but his suffering is now mercifully over. Although he was on life support, he was able to communicate with his eyes and his very expressive eyebrows. He made the decision to come off the ventilator so he could tell us good-bye before he left, and the wonderful ICU staff kept him very comfortable until the end. He was trapped in a body that was quickly failing him, as every organ started shutting down. He had all his children and his oldest grand daughter with him to talk about their favourite memories with him, and we shared some laughs and good times. He never lost his sense of humour.

Tomorrow we are holding a memorial visitation here in town. Rick's remains have been cremated. We have been very busy making arrangements and putting together lots of photographs. The phone rings constantly. I don't think any of this has hit home yet. I will be taking a very short break from blogging myself, but I will continue to read your blogs as they tend to keep me grounded.