Tuesday, August 22, 2017

My Doctor's Visit

I was awakened this morning by a clap of thunder and pouring rain, which kind of matched my mood. It stopped raining long enough for me to take out the dog and get ready for my appointment this morning, but I was unusually anxious driving into town this morning. I guess I was afraid the doctor would not be wholly impressed with the .2 drop in my blood sugar results and I thought maybe she would assume that I hadn't tried very hard. I was disappointed. She would probably think I failed. I was wrong. She was ecstatic with the results. She told me that had I come in with another 6.5, or higher, she would have to tell me that I had Diabetes. The fact that it went down, showed her that the diet was working.

Next, she had me go on the scales. I kind of protested. I told her I hadn't been trying to lose weight. I had eaten so much high fat dairy and meats, it was possible I had even gained weight.  For example, last week one of my dishes was two thick burgers swimming in a cup of heavy whipping cream coloured and flavoured with a little tomato paste. I poured everything over a mountain of mashed cauliflower with loads of butter. How does one lose weight eating like that? I have no idea, but I did....12 pounds. My blood pressure was also down. Huh? She was beyond happy with the results. So now I am clearly motivated to keep going, and I will visit her again early in November.

Yesterday I put too much expectation on what I might achieve, but I still managed to accomplish a lot. I finally trimmed out my front lawn and managed to take out a few more weeds from a flower bed out front, but I came in before two hours were up because it felt very warm and humid outside. The lawn looks good though. I managed to re-read some blog posts and comment on them finally. I wrote letters to accompany cards I mailed out before the mail pickup. I took out the kitchen compost and scrubbed out the pail. Two heads of cabbage are shredded and cooked ready for me to turn into casseroles. I still have to process the broccoli.

The grass trimmed out, and in the foreground is a pot of red shamrocks that I have potted up to give away.

4 comments:

  1. That's a phenomenal surprise! Look at you! You're not diabetic, your doctor is VERY happy with your results and you lost 12 lbs to boot?!? Dang, Susan, you're killing this! I'm so happy for you :)

    I've never heard of or seen red shamrocks. I like how you used fabric and a ribbon to "wrap" it up!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My sister gave each of us siblings and my Dad a small pot of these shamrocks after the funeral of my Uncle Eddie many years ago. They have grown and been divided several times. The pot that you like so much, is a re-used pot from my Mother's Day Mums I received in the Spring. No sense throwing out the decorated pots when you can reuse them when you gift someone. Right?

      Thank you for the congratulations. I feel really funny about the loss. It's like I went to bed one night, and the next morning finding out I lost 12 pounds overnight. Yes I followed the recipes, but I don't feel like I deprived myself. I actually thought I would gain weight. I was only concerned about the sugar thing. This was a very unexpected bonus.

      Delete
  2. Excellent news, Susan! So glad that the doctor is happy with your blood sugar results and that you've lost a whole 12 lbs! Wow! Sounds like we should all go on your diet! Well done!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's what I told my doctor. "If you're happy, then I'm happy" I went into her office so fearful of how she was going to feel about my efforts. I did not expect that kind of reaction. So today, I am quite enjoying my "accomplishment"

    ReplyDelete