Tuesday, November 21, 2017

No Card Making Today

Today was a lovely day, weather-wise. It was sunny and warm-ish and presented itself as the perfect day to get outdoors and get some errands run. I left this morning to pick up groceries after I went to the Post Office. I had intended to hit a couple of grocery stores, but I found so many of my list items on sale at the first store, that I decided to go home straight afterwards. I arrived home just before  noon and remembered that I hadn't eaten breakfast yet. So I ate a mushroom and zucchini omelet for lunch and then I brought down the Rubbermaid bin of outdoor Christmas lights from one of the spare bedrooms. It took several hours, but I have the lights put up. I will wait until December before I turn them on in the evenings. I only have evergreen garland across the railing on the front verandah. I am trying to make things easier on myself by just hanging lights where I used to place both. The fake evergreen gets weakened and damaged with exposure to the elements, and I don't feel like replacing them anymore. My decorating could use a little understatement anyways. I picked up a multi coloured rope light at the hardware store when it went on sale a couple of weeks ago. I really don't like, nor can I afford,  the new outdoor decorations that have come on the market the last few years. So today I made a Christmas tree for the front garden by turning a tomato cage upside down and wrapping the 15 foot rope light and some old evergreen garland around the form.
My DIY Christmas tree from an upside down tomato cage.

I have taken pictures of today's grocery shop, but tomorrow I will have to slice and dice everything up and get it into the freezer.

 Meat cost a total of $56.42

Chicken breasts were $2 a pound and the cap off rib steaks were on sale for $3.49 a pound. I also picked up 3 lbs. of lean ground beef for $10, salami, Italian sausage and kielbasa
 Dairy cost $28.07  The blocks of cheese were only $4 each
 The produce was where I did very well. I bought so much, I made it into two photos for a total of $36.19
I bought zucchini, peppers, mushrooms, spinach, avocados, apples and blackberries.
 I bought 4 bags of broccoli at $1 a bag, 3 cabbages, a turnip and 2 eggplants to make more yummy moussaka.
My only pantry item was a bottle of olive oil for $ 7.99 which brought my total grocery bill to $129

I have yet to pump water out of the basement, but I did return some emails and phone calls that were pending. I am going now to eat a chicken stir fry for dinner.

2 comments:

  1. I like your Christmas tree and you did well with your grocery shopping.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you Bless. It was a very cheap outdoor decoration. The only thing I bought was the rope light...and it was on sale. I have since picked up an assortment of evergreen boughs, and combined with some of my own shrubbery have decorated 3 planters in the front yard that will last all winter.

    ReplyDelete