Friday, December 15, 2017

Kitchen Duty

My breakfast almost every morning is a 2 egg omelet. This one is yellow pepper and zucchini.

I got busy yesterday. If I don't post on my blog it usually means I am not home, I am dead tired, or I am too busy to stop and write. Yesterday I was busy. I made sure I remembered to take the garbage and the paper and cardboard recycling to the curb the night before, so after breakfast I got busy with washing down my stove top and counters. I ran some hot soapy water in the sink and washed a few stray items by hand, before I turned my attention to the  inside of my pots and pans cupboard and the bottom cupboard where I stash my cookie sheets and muffin tins. I had washed the cupboard below my sink just a couple of weeks ago, so the only bottom cupboard left was the Lazy Susan (aptly named). I do have a tiny kitchen, so it doesn't take long to clean the cupboards. I bought a stand alone cupboard that I put together and put against the wall between the stove and the window. I keep mason jars of beans, lentils and my bulk spices, so I emptied that and washed down the shelves. I sprayed and cleaned the top of my refrigerator. With the water in my sink now getting pretty cool and dingy, I grabbed the dog bowls and washed them.

After lunch I wrapped up two more gift baskets. I only have one left and all my presents are wrapped. I took pictures so I can share with you after Christmas. I fed the outdoor composter my kitchen scraps and I walked over to the Post Office to collect my mail. I made up some more Spice mixes and I mended some cushions that needed putting back together. The dog likes to get a hold of them. He thinks they are stuffed animals I guess. I commented on a couple of blogs....my reward for getting a lot accomplished, but I did not post my own because it was time for supper and an evening of Netflix. I actually had to re-watch an episode of the Crown because I had fallen asleep during the show the night before.

Today I did not feel at all like doing any housework, but I forced myself to finish washing the shelves in my kitchen pantry. Again, these are ready made shelves my husband and I built to fit between the wall studs (like the ones that hold the tools and hardware in the front room.) With the kitchen now "good enough" until I begin Spring Cleaning,  I turned my attention away from washing and cleaning, to just working in the kitchen. I sliced up all the peppers remaining  in the crisper and froze them.
I made a soup broth with the second steak in my freezer and then added celery, cherry tomatoes, burgundy beans,some of the peeled and chopped broccoli stems, cauliflower all from the freezer. I seasoned with beef bouillon powder, sea salt and thyme. I cut down the steak into small chunks and had two bowls of it for lunch. There is enough for a few days. I fried some peppers, onion and ground beef with my homemade taco seasoning to make a Tex Mex casserole for tonight's dinner. I just have to smother it in mozzarella cheese and pop it in the oven.

The sun is going down already. I still want to go over to the Post Office to check for mail, as it is Friday and I won't be able to go now until Monday. Here is a picture of my outdoor lamp decorated in the back yard. (Yes, it does have a slight list to the right) The lamp comes on with a photo sensor, as do the Christmas lights. I think that last year I had changed out the bulbs to red and green, but I decided against it this year. It sounded like too much work. Ha.

2 comments:

  1. I really like the light, it's very festive and looks pretty in the snow!

    I'm flabbergasted that you wash the INSIDE of your cupboards! I can't even muster the energy to wash the OUTSIDE of mine right now. That new diet agrees with you, you seem to be more productive than ever!

    Be careful walking in the snow :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I wouldn't say I am more productive. Maybe I am, but I don't feel motivated today, that's for sure. I woke up in a really crummy mood. Fortunately my son and his fiancee have decided on their own that they will not be coming out today, which is fine by me. I wouldn't be the greatest of company. My dad and "Dee" are coming home today after spending 3 weeks in Mexico. That time really flew by quickly. I am bolstering my mood today with the fact that they are treating me to an eleven day cruise in one month. So, so looking forward to that. I feel so good about that I may do some cleaning after all.

    ReplyDelete