Tuesday, December 12, 2017

Winter Has Arrived

While I was sleeping early this morning, I could hear the fire trucks responding to an accident on the 401 highway. I was expecting snow overnight (that is the reason I got all my running around done yesterday), but I was able to tune out the sirens and go back to sleep until 7:45. The eastbound traffic into Kingston had been diverted to Highway 2 that runs past my house. There is enough snow to shovel from the driveway but I haven't done that yet. After my usual 2 cups of coffee, an omelet for breakfast, and answering emails, I started my day with wrapping some more gifts and some of the baskets I am putting together. This afternoon I finally decorated my tree.
It isn't a designer tree by any stretch of the imagination. It is decorated with things I have been gifted over the years, decorations my kids have made for me at school, and souvenirs I have picked up on my travels. Each ornament has a story. I wouldn't trade them for anything.

I still had time to water the plants that I moved upstairs a week or more ago so that I had room to bring the tree in and put up my other decorations. And while I was upstairs, I made up the beds in the spare rooms for the company I will be expecting over the holidays. By that point, it was already time to start thinking of dinner. I don't know where the days go lately. Winter days really do seem so much shorter.
Fresh fallen snow makes the lights seem brighter. See the little Christmas tree I made using a rope light and garland wrapped around the upside down tomato cage? Oh yes. I am reminded by this picture that I also made a new wreath for my door today. I have a wooden J and a Y attached diagonally to either side of the wreath, which you cannot really see in the photo, so I have just taken another picture so you can see it better.
The wooden letters and the small wreath I bought at the Dollar Store, and the wired ribbon I had in my stash. I have so much wired ribbon....you would not believe. I hot glued the letters on, but I also wrapped some jute to hold firmly in place. Maybe I should have painted the letters?  I figure it is good enough. It was quick and cheap to make.

2 comments:

  1. Love your decorations, especially that wreath! What a clever idea!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Pinterest. I saw it on Pinterest. What a treasure trove for new ideas.

      Delete