Monday, March 19, 2018

Daybook: Monday, March 19/18

Outside my window.....it is a beautiful, sunny day. The kids are back in school this week after their March Break. Road traffic seems a little heavier.

I am thinking.....about going North for a week to visit with my Dad. Of course, my sister and BIL have also moved up there with my mother, so I could also spend some time with them.

I am thankful for.....early detection of cancer. My DIL does not have a date for her radiation yet, but she will be getting treatment. I just learned yesterday that one of my husband's cousins went to Emergency Services recently and they discovered multiple cancers throughout. There is nothing they can do for her. She will be returning home in a few days for palliative care.

From the kitchen.....this weekend I cooked a beef roast in the crockpot for dinner Saturday. I shredded and sauteed a cabbage as one of the sides. I didn't get company as I expected, but I have been enjoying lots of roast beef for my suppers.  I baked more dog biscuits for Satchel.

I am wearing.....black denim jeans, black and white fuzzy socks, and a gray thin knit sweater.

I am creating.....a pillowcase embroidery project that will likely be finished this week, and a knit dish cloth that will be finished by the end of today. I was given some napkin rings that I will use as beads in my next macrame plant hanger. I will be mailing out the kids' Easter cards this week, as well as some more encouragement cards.

I am going.....nowhere today. It has been really tough to get up in the mornings and face the day. I am feeling very down, not depressed. Part of it I think is still getting used to the time change and part of it is "Spring Fever". I am keenly aware of the stress I am feeling regarding the health of people close to me and I am also feeling stressed about my finances. One of my SILs tells me I need to have a huge yard sale to get rid of a lot of my possessions and bring in some more money. She is right of course. At this juncture, I don't know if I will be staying in this house or even in this area. If I move, I may move myself entirely and start a new beginning. I am so conflicted right now.

I am hoping.....that I can pull myself out of this funk.

I am hearing.....the patter of Satchel's paws as he walks around the upstairs rooms. I hope he isn't looking for trouble. Ha. I can hear traffic outside and the hum of my computer. It is very quiet.

Around the house.....there is much to be done and no energy or motivation to get it done.

One of my favourite things.....right now is my dishwasher. I got to appreciate it more after I had to wash dishes by hand last week.

A few plans for the rest of the week.....?? I have nothing on my calendar. I need to find a pain killer for Satchel that I can afford. I took him to the vet Saturday morning and paid for his Wellness exam and a Leptospirosis vaccine. I still need to buy 3 months of flea and tick medication. The pain killers he is on cost $220 for two months. These are the pills my daughter's vet put him on when she was looking after him in Bradford. I had no idea she had paid that much for his pills. If I go to another medication, there will be a "washout" period where he won't be able to have anything for his arthritis pain until I can start him on the new medicine. . I have some hard decisions to make.

Here is a picture I am sharing.....
 After the vet appointment, I dropped into the Napanee Shopper's Drug Mart and purchased these items that were on a 2-day sale. I needed the eggs at $1.99 a doz. The cottage cheese was only $1.99 and the 450 gm of block cheese was only $3.99 each. I had to take advantage of this terrific sale.


2 comments:

  1. Susan, I am truly sorry to hear about your husband's cousin. That is a very hard verdict for anyone, isn't it? May she be pain-free for the remainder of her life.

    I am also sorry to hear that you are under so much stress, not just over the health of loved ones, which can be bad enough, but also about your finances. Having a yard sale can be one way to generate a little income; maybe you could also have some macramé hangers for sale at the same time. So would selling your cards. Would renting out a portion of your house be an option?

    I am hoping that you will be able to make the decisions you need to make with, perhaps, the help of your family and friends. Make a list of pros and cons for each decision that needs to be made; often, I find that it helps me to see it all written down, rather than have it all in my head. May you receive the help and guidance you need to arrive at the decisions that are best for you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I second everything Bless said. I'm sorry you're going through more stress with more bad family news. And also with finances. It's hard to see a loved pet in pain and one feels guilty about not being able or willing to spend hundreds or thousands of dollars on medical bills for them. You need to make the right decision for you, though. You do need money to pay your bills too!

    As for moving away, I urge you to wait to make this decision until you're feeling better. Big decisions like these shouldn't be made when one is emotional or feeling blue, I don't think. Of course I'm assuming that you would be thinking about moving closer to family (your dad/mom/sister or maybe your kids in Vancouver? Although Vancouver is super expensive so I'm thinking probably not that latter one) but also think about the support system that you have in place where you live now, your friends, your neighbors, your doctors. Anyhoo, don't make any rash decision and really think it through, honestly. I was going to suggest making a list of pros and cons but Bless beat me to it.

    Also, and I don't know what moving would all entail (selling the house and using the proceed to buy a condo, perhaps? or becoming a renter? Or moving in with family?) but if finances are what is depressing you the most, make sure that moving wouldn't actually cost you more than it's worth, Susan.


    I don't mean to discourage you, just warn you to be careful with making big decisions when you're feeling vulnerable. Maybe you could meet with a financial advisor? Or, and I don't know how much debt you're trying to pay off but maybe doing something like Dave Ramsey's Financial Peace University would be helpful? I think many churches offer the program for a minimal cost.

    I just checked and there is a Reddit forum for Personal Finance specifically in Canada. I'm not suggesting for you to open a Reddit account, but maybe you can read some of the posts and replies and get some good ideas from there. https://www.reddit.com/r/PersonalFinanceCanada/

    Lastly, if you'd like to post a list of your monthly expenses, maybe a couple of us would have some suggestions? I know that's really personal so don't feel like you have to.

    (((HUGS)))

    ReplyDelete