Sunday, June 17, 2018

My Yard Sale

This past week I was in a very dark place. I needed to write a short blog this morning to let everyone know that I am feeling better and coming back from under the funk that had me in hiding. The day after I wrote my last post, things did not get better. I woke up the next day feeling even more miserable and try as I might, could not shake off the doom and gloom, so I went back to bed at 11 AM and stayed there all day. I slept really well all that day and night. There were so many times I wanted to call people to cancel the sale, but it would have been harder to do that, so I gathered all the strength and resolve I had left and marched forward. Friday afternoon, I picked up my friend after work and brought her home to my house. We stayed up 'til past 10PM getting ready. Yesterday morning, to my delight, both my son and his fiancee were here to help us set up 5 tables with all the wares I had ready. I resolved not to stress about not being quite as prepared as I wanted to be, partly because I knew there needed to be a second yard sale later this summer. Five tables wasn't nearly enough display area for everything that was ready for sale, so for the items I didn't  bring out, there is a second chance later in August. My friend stayed with me until the bitter end. She was here to help bring stuff inside and carry the tables back where they belonged. I will be forever grateful. I made $100, which I am thrilled about because most everything was small household items that ranged from 10 cents to a dollar. I had a very few larger items, but nothing was priced over $10  The sales were steady from 8 AM until we quit at 2 PM.  I got rid of lots of stuff and I visited with a lot of my neighbours. The weather was perfect, and I ended the day exhausted. My dinner was ready because I just needed to reheat left overs from the night before.

Today is Father's Day. My friend and her husband in Charleston Lake have invited me over for the day and to sleep over. They are offering me a quiet day at their cottage in the woods and it sounds lovely.......just what I am needing. Tomorrow I will begin the process of going through everything left from the sale. If there was plenty of interest in something, I might save it  for resale. I suspect most of it I will pack up in cardboard boxes and take to  a Thrift Store. Then I will begin to clean up my now empty floor space and call in a couple of realtors for advice. So things continue to move forward;  not as quickly as I first imagined, but forward nonetheless. I may not sell for a year but I can still gather information and work towards the end result. I hope everyone is enjoying their Father's Day weekend and that you are taking it easy.
I think these are Sweet William. I planted them last year (that's why I can't remember), but they have come back this year even better than ever. I am wanting to plant even more of them, so I had better find out what they are.

4 comments:

  1. $100, woohoo! So nice of your friend and your kids to come have helped too. And for your other friends to have offered their cabin. A change of scenery might do you good after all the hard work you've put in. ((HUGS))

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. OMG! It was so lovely. It was just what I needed. It was so quiet and unhurried and my friend and I had a lot to catch up on.

      Yes, I was very happy with the yard sale. It was pretty steady traffic all day and I ended up with $100 more than I started the day with. Yippee-ki-yay!

      Delete
  2. So glad to hear that you were able to rest when you needed to and hold the yard sale, after all, with the help of your friend and your family. And, best of all, you made $100 from it! Wonderful! That is at least 100 things gone and quite possibly a lot more than that!

    Just take it one day at a time, Susan; that's all one can do. And that is all we are given, too, when one thinks about it - one day, today.

    Your flowers are absolutely gorgeous! I was going to say, "What lovely Sweet Williams", but now I won't! :D

    ReplyDelete
  3. I purged a lot of items and made money to boot. Who couldn't be happy about that? It is a lot of work and I certainly could not have done it on my own. I am very lucky. And like you said, I may not be progressing as quickly as I had hoped, but I am moving forward toward my goal...one day at a time.

    ReplyDelete