Friday, August 21, 2015

Smith Falls on Saturday

Last Friday Freebie was on August 7
When my company arrived from BC on August 6th, they were tired and jet-lagged. So the following day Grandpa and I took our 12 year old granddaughter with us into Kingston for the Costco pickup and a little grocery shopping afterwards. There wasn't a lot to get, but I wanted to pick up my last Friday Freebie and a few of my GD's favourite snacks. Back at home, my son and I took my GD for a "tour of Odessa", which would normally take only 10 minutes tops, but we never got further than the park at Babcock Mill on the Mill Creek. We used to have Canada geese, Blue Herons  and 3 white swans down by the bridge, but they have moved further downstream. So my GD took off her shoes and waded into the stream to cool off. My son had made plans to meet with friends from High School, who were also in town for the week. So they took off shortly after noon until supper time.

On Saturday, we were invited to my brother's and SIL's house for the day. We took our bathing suits and swam in their pool most of the afternoon. One of their daughters, who still attends University, works for Parks Canada in the summers. She invited us down to see her display tent at the Paddlefest Days being held on the Rideau River that day; but we arrived too late to take part in the Voyageur Canoe races. We got there just in time to help bring in one of the longboats, and to check out a few of the displays before everything was packed up.




Paddlefest Days in Smith Falls
Taking the Voyageur Canoes out of the water after the races


Rideau River in Smith Falls


 But we did see the Combination Lock in action while we were waiting to take my niece back home for dinner. A houseboat and 2 canoes arrived at the hydraulic lock. The water dropped 46 feet in only 15 minutes. It was an incredible sight, and I was glad that my GD was there to witness it.
Combination lock on the Rideau Canal

The combination lock replaces three original locks, which are still available to see, although non-working. The Rideau Canal is a World Heritage Sight. 

By the time we returned to my brother's house, he had a wonderful dinner ready for us. We had rhubarb glazed pork loin and corn on the cob done on the BBQ. We started with a Caprese salad, followed by mashed potatoes and green beans sauteed in garlic and pimento. My job was to bring my GD a vegetarian Shepherd's Pie. And I forgot. I was trying to get everybody else ready for the road trip (bathing suits, towels, snacks, drinks) and I needed to leave some things on my porch for a friend to pick up when she was passing through Odessa. Too many things to remember I guess. But she didn't starve. She ate everything else at the table, and we picked up some veggie dogs on the way. Dessert was cheesecake. Yum! Again, no photos.

Sunday was my turn to entertain. We BBQ'd steaks and I made "Newfie Potatoes" with  green salad, peas and cheesy cauliflower. Dessert was a simple dish of ice-creme and choco chip cookies. Our very dear friends from Charlestown Lake came for dinner, as well as my middle son's girlfriend who was there to meet the rest of the family. My friend brought a pan of lemon squares that were a hit. (I had to phone her the next day to get the recipe.) We sat around the dining table for a very long time talking and reminiscing. It was a great evening. 

So I am ending the first week-end here. This is the second time that I have written this post. After spending a great deal of time on it  last night, I previewed it and noted a couple of errors that needed fixing, and then poof....I lost the whole thing. I was so frustrated, I went to bed. My 22 year old granddaughter is on her way here from Toronto as I write this. If I lose this, I won't be writing again for a while. I am leaving her here tomorrow with Grandpa, as plans were made several weeks ago for a bunch of us women to go to a Flea Market. I can't back out and she wouldn't be interested anyway. So she can rest and recuperate from her very long trip from Burnaby, and I will see her for supper. 

2 comments:

  1. I love those boats, how beautiful. They are quite long, indeed! And all this talk of wonderful food is making me hungry, hahaha. Please make those lemon squares soon... and share the recipe and pictures with us?

    Enjoy your granddaughter's stay and your Flea Market visit! Don't spend too much!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Also, and forgive me as I'm not sure how familiar you are with Blogger, but did you check your dashboard to see if your lost post had just been saved as a draft? Blogger saves the posts as drafts automatically every few seconds so f you typed a whole post and inserted photos, it should be there somewhere. Click on "Dashboard", then select your blog, and then check down the list of your posts (it should show up in "All Posts" and "Drafts" if it wasn't published or under "Scheduled" if you set a publish date and time.
      Another way to located it is to type something in the search box (to the right of the box labeled "All Labels") that would be in that specific post like "Rideau River" for instance, and hit the looking glass icon. It should pull up all the posts that contained "Rideau River". Anyhoo, give it a try and see if you can find it. It's so frustrating when one loses work like this.

      Delete