Tuesday, October 31, 2017

Burrard Inlet

It is Halloween night. I am sitting in the front entry room (where my computer resides), so it is easy to write emails and a blog post while I am waiting on the little "trick or treaters". I am dressed as a bride corpse but I will tell the kids that I am the bride of Frankenstein if they ask. When I wore this costume to work, I did a pretty good  job with the makeup and fingernails. I don't like to scare the little kids that come to the house, so all I have done tonight is put on black lipstick and mascara. Previously I had put on a facial mask under white makeup so that my skin was constantly sloughing off during the day. I made sure the makeup was on all parts of my exposed skin. I painted my own short fingernails black with white crackle polish overtop so that my fingernails looked like they were rotting off. I wore black shadow around my eyes so that they looked sunken in my skull. I carried a dried up bouquet of roses that I spray painted black. The costume itself is white satin with white and black tulle with silver laces. And I am wearing my little ghost necklace that lights up and adds to the "cute" factor. I remember coming home from work years ago, still dressed as a witch. I was trying to get supper on the table and help the kids get costumed up and out the door. There was a knock at the door and I scrambled to get the candy out to give away. When I opened the door, I scared the poor child so badly, her mother couldn't console her. So I vowed from then on that I would tone down the scare factor.

We arrived in Vancouver on a Wednesday night and my grand daughter's convocation was on the Friday. It was such a joyous occasion. The ceremony was held out of doors and went very smoothly. The graduates  were piped in with all the pomp and ceremony that such an event can muster. I took lots of photos to remember the day but I took them with my cell phone. I have yet to figure out how to download them from my phone. We all went out to a restaurant for dinner afterwards. And when I say "we", I mean everyone except my poor daughter-in-law. While we were traveling by train, my DIL went to see a doctor when her jaw suddenly became quite swollen. They drew blood to check for infection and to check her for Mumps. Because her young daughter did not have her booster shot and because of my son's compromised immune system because of dialysis, and because my father is 92 years of age, the doctor suggested that she quarantine herself by staying at her mom's house. So my DIL had to miss the convocation and the Thanksgiving weekend on Vancouver Island, that she had been so looking forward to. After a week, the results came back negative. She didn't have Mumps after all. They are continuing to investigate, but suspect it is a compacted gland.

During my last weekend in Vancouver, we rented a motor boat for a few hours and toured Burrard Inlet. This is my husband's last resting place. It was a gorgeous day and the views were spectacular. No wonder Rick loved it here so much. The photos are thanks to my daughter-in-law.



















1 comment:

  1. Did you get a lot of trick-or-treaters? I had none this year - didn't even hear any kids on our street or the main road! Very unusual. Well, at least I didn't buy a lot of candy! So it worked out well.

    The pictures are absolutely lovely! It looks like a beautiful place. Thank you for sharing them with us.

    ReplyDelete