Thursday, October 9, 2014

Outdoor work



I took one of my garden pumpkins.....

turned it on its side, added wooden "feathers" and a turkey "head", and covered the stem by tying a bandanna around the back of his head. Voila....a cute little Thanksgiving decoration for the front porch made for me by my SIL from Smith Falls a few years back. I have since copied the pattern and made one for a friend of mine. 
     It hasn't been a great week weather-wise. We have alternated between some sun, lots of cloud, lots of rain off-and-on, and very windy conditions. But today I decided I had to get outside and start some outdoor work. It hasn't rained in about 24 hours and the wind has dried up the ground well enough that I could get down on the ground. My shrubs have not been pruned in two years (gasp) and they had become quite overgrown. I only intended to do my large rose bush and maybe pull the few weeds in the rest of the bed, but in fact I ended up also pruning my bridal veil, my forsythia and I cut right back my white hydrangea in the front of the house. Now you can REALLY see all the weeds in the beds. I won't worry about those until I get all of the pruning done....priorities. If I can get to the weeds before the snow comes, fine and dandy.


     I spent the day yesterday at the dining room table preparing Halloween cards for the "kids" in my life. (grandkids, nephews, nieces) so that I can get back to making birthday cards as gifts. I don't think I have put as much work into these Halloween cards as I did last year, as I just want to get them done. But I am almost positive that the kids don't care. They just enjoy getting them in the mail.

I asked my SP yesterday to pick up some "Compliments" canned tomatoes from Freshco yesterday. They were only 77 cents a tin, and he got 10 cans for the pantry. I knew he wouldn't get back in time for me to make my lazy day cabbage roll casserole, so I used some frozen tomatoes to make the equivalent of two cups of diced tomatoes. I use a lot of tomatoes in my cooking. I don't usually run out of canned tomatoes, but when I do, it is so wonderful to have some squirreled away in the freezer.  I want to plant more beefsteak tomatoes next year, and fewer cherry tomatoes. 

     On Tuesday I was able to pick more beans, tomatoes, peppers; and believe it or not, more broccoli. I can't pull up the garden yet as long as it is still producing. We have certainly been enjoying the bounty. I will probably leave the carrots as long as I can to allow them to grow as big as they can. I was so late putting them in. Well, if I am not posting tomorrow, have yourselves a wonderful Thanksgiving weekend.

No comments:

Post a Comment