Wednesday, November 5, 2014

The rest of my carrots from the veggie garden, all washed and ready for the fridge.
Next summer I will plant more carrots, plant them earlier, and start thinning them as soon as the seedlings begin to show. I used up the first batch of carrots that I picked a couple of weeks ago. I put the smallest ones in homemade soups, and cut up the larger ones into stews and casseroles. These kept very well in the ground, but I decided to pick them all because I can't see them growing any bigger this late in the fall. 

Well it is a good thing that my latest "wander trip" to Picton county was relaxing and rejuvenating, because I have been shopping, wrapping and crafting. Most of my Advent calendars are finished. But since I am shipping these packages out, I figure I might as well send my son's and my DIL's Xmas stockings at the same time. So I have been very busy. I would like to have everything gone by the end of this week. We will probably drive to Oshawa to leave Advent presents and my daughter's and SIL's stockings later this month. 

Although the last few weeks have seen me spend more than the usual amount of money, I am still trying to keep my frugal ways. No Frills has been selling whole frying chickens for less than $ 2 a pound, and Italian sausage for $2.88, so I have been buying some of each for the last 2 weeks. This week they are selling lean ground beef also for $2.88 a pound. I buy the big family packs and divvy them up into smaller freezer bags at home. I also paid a visit to the Bulk Barn to replenish some of my mason jars in the pantry....some navy beans, oatmeal, cornmeal, split peas, beef bouillon and spices. When I begin my Xmas baking in a couple of weeks, I will need to make another trip. Last night I tried a different recipe. It is called Split pea and sausage soup; but holy moly, it really sticks to the ribs. We all  loved it. Besides the obvious spit peas and hunks of browned sausage, it also has browned onion and cubed potatoes in it. You can stand a spoon straight up in it. Really good soup and stays with you. I have cut the breasts off the chicken fryers, and then simmered the rest of the meat in a stewing pot. The cooked meat goes into the freezer for casseroles later on, and I have been using up the chicken broth. 

Well I have taken a break this afternoon from wrapping, but I should get back at it. Talk later. 




No comments:

Post a Comment