Thursday, November 19, 2015

My refrigerator called out in agony

All my BC gifts were shipped out yesterday and they are no longer in my house. Yay! That is a big job done. It will take any where from 5 to 8 days, so lots of time. I also ordered  a birthday gift for one of my granddaughters from Amazon a week ago and it is expected out west today. I didn't get her birthday card mailed though. Just like I didn't get the kids' Hallowe'en cards out this year. I made them. I just didn't get them in the mail. Everything seems to take up more time this year. Do you think it might be because I am getting older? Say it isn't so. The good news is....all the cards are made early for next year. 

Mashed turnip for supper tonight


My craft table (aka the dining table) is still piled high with several projects waiting for my attention tonight after dinner, but this morning I decided I couldn't stand the sight of my refrigerator. I removed everything and washed the fridge thoroughly, making note of things that need to be used up ASAP. I peeled and cut up the turnip to boil. I washed, seeded and julienned three peppers that were getting kind of wrinkly, for the freezer. 

A much cleaner fridge

Unfortunately, I managed to find some covered dishes of perished food that had to be thrown in the garbage. Boo! Hiss! I hate finding food that has been forgotten and wasted. I pulled a jar of apple sauce and a can of evaporated milk out to the front because these are items I can save. I will use the milk for baking a bread pudding and the applesauce will go into muffins. I found FOUR, count them....4 opened jars of homemade jam. Why do we need 4 opened jars of jam??? On the plus side, I ate up the last of my chicken soup and a small bowl of chili con carne for lunch. All that is left for leftovers is some fried rice, which I will probably finish off tomorrow. We always have two litres of milk on the go...the white pitcher holds my skim milk, while the yellow one holds 2%

A couple of weeks ago, I was asked to lead a group of about 12 women in some kind of Christmas craft over on Amherst Island. I really didn't have time because I am in the midst of doing my own crafting and trying to get my Christmas cards and gifts made and delivered in a reasonable amount of time. So I did what any  person would do. I passed the job on to one of my  friends to do in my place. She did a fantastic job last night. I went along to help her out, but I didn't have the stress of preparing the materials or the delivery of the lesson. I simply was there as an assistant and offered moral support. This Saturday is another Christmas Craft and Bake sale right here in the village. I have not decided yet whether I will go. A lot depends on how much work I can get accomplished this weekend. I want to get all the crafting, cards and gifts done before the end of November, so December is left for cleaning, decorating and ALL of the Christmas baking. This Sunday is the first Christmas party of the season. It is a restaurant dinner in Napanee with some of my past co-workers and their spouses. 

I have been going to bed these last few weeks exhausted. I often don't stay awake for the nightly news. Although it is a good tired..... of having accomplished something, I think I chewed off more than I can chew this year. I wanted to get my presents started early this year, but that didn't happen obviously, as I feel now as though I am scrambling at the last minute. Mind you, these are self imposed deadlines, and I enjoy doing them. I just feel badly that I have been neglecting my blog posts. I hope you will understand. I should get better in January. 

2 comments:

  1. Congratulations on cleaning out your fridge! It's a big endeavor. I only clean mine twice a year or so. Ooops. You got to save food and make yummy treats! I love bread pudding... I should bake bread so I can make bread pudding. I'm also guilty of opening too many jars of jam because I like to have a variety to choose from :)

    It was very smart of you to delegate the craft session to your friend. It's good to recognize when we've taken on too much and instead of bailing, you helped her ensure that it was successful and had fun in the same time instead of stressing. Kudos!

    I've had the box full of the CDs that I want to mail to France and the envelopes to go with them near my coffee table for a couple of weeks now and I still haven't done anything with it. I was waiting to get the Christmas cards to put in the envelopes with the CDs so now I don't have an excuse to procrastinate. The only real "presents" I will send are Amazon GC to my nephews but I'll just order them on the French Amazon site and have them delivered from there. Now that I say that, though, I'm feeling guilty about not sending my siblings presents. But they don't send me anything either (or to my kids for that matter) so I'm not sure why I feel so guilty!

    This morning I'm struggling with the decision of whether or not to add a kitten to our household. My kids have been clamoring for us to get a 3rd cat. My son put a cat on his Christmas wish list. We had a "lost" kitten in the backyard yesterday but it ran away when it saw me. Then Greg forwarded to me an email from a colleague seeking to place 4 kittens that are being fostered right now... they're spayed/neutered, have had their shots, and they're only $25 a piece... and there were pictures too! Arrrgh. Now he's wondering why I want to go get one. I'm a sucker for kittens, which is how we ended up with the 2 cats that we have now and that I keep complaining about, LOL. Whereas he acts as he does NOT want cats but he's the one loving on them all the time. Ah, decisions, decisions.

    Well, I'd better get to addressing those envelopes and writing the cards! Enjoy the rest of your planning and doing and make sure you get plenty of rest!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Things really do seem to be taking longer to do and it is because I have said yes to do way too many thing that I don't have time for. Good for you to saying no to something but helping out so that your friend didn't have to do it by themselves. I cleaned the fridge out when we left before the holidays and it was totally bare. I didn't get a chance to actually clean it but that is on my list while I can still see all the shelves and before I fill it up again. Love the picture of the fridge!! Hope you are able to catch up on your to do list :)

    ReplyDelete