Saturday, July 15, 2017

A Day in Loyalist County





 After spending the morning touring the Tall Ships, we were ready for some lunch. Fortunately, there were lots of food vendors in the park. We picked a tent run by volunteers from the Loyalist Emergency Services so our food dollars would go towards their good work.


 I didn't take a lot of photos of the craft vendors, but I took these two of metal working and wood carving because I really admire those crafters as opposed to the ones selling jewellery and clothes.



It was lunchtime for these re-enactors as well. Here someone is cooking on top of his kitchen box.




Some cooking implements

These re-enactors lived here in their tents over the duration of the  weekend event.


I loved this bunting which was completely hand sewn.

This photo is too dark to clearly see a kettle on a cooking stove which used bits of wood. Beside it to the right is a standing cooking box which held his food, pots, pans and other cooking and eating utensils.  



 These guys were very proud of their collections and loved to engage with the tourists to explain how everything in their collection was used. This was an unexpected surprise for me because I thought the day was only about the tours of the Tall Ships. We spent a very lovely afternoon in the encampment.


2 comments:

  1. I love it when they have living history events. And you take much better pictures than I do at those events. I always get so busy looking at everything that I forget to take photos and then I take one or two really quickly and they don't turn out. But yours really show what you saw and what you liked. I especially like that sign with all the rules and all the colorful costumes. I don't know much about the history of Canada, I really ought to read up on it. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love these "living history events" too. That phrase describes them perfectly. I have to give the re-enactors credit. They really go out of their way to make it a fun event.

    ReplyDelete