Thursday, July 20, 2017

Low Carb Eats


Fried rice tasted WONDERFUL  
And you are probably telling yourself, "But rice isn't on your diet!" And you would be correct. But this rice is grated cauliflower with sauteed shallots, celery, mushrooms and peas.It is so yummy! I couldn't believe how delicious it tasted. I also had a side of Asian cabbage stir-fry. Bless asked me for the Italian cabbage stir fry recipe I tried, so I will print it here, as I got it off "Diet Doctor".

Ingredients

servings
USMetric
  • 123 lbs green cabbage
  • 13 lb butter
  • 113 lbs ground beef
  • 1 teaspoon salt
  • 1 teaspoon onion powder
  • ¼ teaspoon pepper
  • 1 tablespoon white wine vinegar
  • 1 tablespoon tomato paste
  • 2 garlic cloves, finely chopped
  • 3¼ oz. leeks, thinly sliced
  • 8 tablespoons fresh basil
  • 1 cup mayonnaise or sour cream, for serving
Add as favorite
Print recipe
Nutrition

Instructions

  1. Shred the green cabbage finely with a cheese slicer, sharp knife or in a food processor.
  2. Fry the cabbage in about half of the butter (or substitute olive oil) in a large frying pan or wok on medium heat for about 10 minutes, or until just softened.
  3. Add vinegar, salt, onion powder, and pepper. Stir and fry for 2-3 minutes, or until well incorporated. Reserve sautéed cabbage to a bowl.
  4. Heat the rest of the butter or oil in the pan. Add the garlic and leeks, and sauté for a minute.
  5. Add meat, and continue frying until cooked through. Sauté until most of the liquid has evaporated.
  6. Add tomato paste and mix well. Lower the heat a little and add reserved cabbage and fresh basil. Stir until cooked through.
  7. Adjust seasoning and serve with a dollop of sour cream or mayonnaise and perhaps even a green salad.

Tip!

There’s a reason we nicknamed this cabbage concoction “crack slaw.” It’s utterly addictive! You can double the recipe and freeze it for when the urge strikes!

I gave my kitchen scales to my son, so I can't weigh anything. Basically, I shred one head of cabbage and fry it on low heat with enough butter that it wilts and softens, stirring a few times (I also kept a lid on the pan). I didn't have leeks, so I used diced yellow onion. I added two tbsp. of tomato paste, because one just wasn't enough for all the cabbage I made. I used dried oregano. This was very good, so I made two serves for the freezer as well. I did not use sour cream or mayonnaise on top. I had a green salad on the side.


I bought more vegetables on Tuesday morning and spent the next two days in the kitchen preparing and cooking. I have to get more dishes in the freezer for myself for when company comes. I won't have time for all this preparation once they arrive. I have also made a LOT of birthday cards for my personal stash. 


4 comments:

  1. Both the cabbage dish and the fried rice look and sound delicious. I've never thought to freeze the Egg Roll in a Bowl that I make (similar, I'm betting, to your Asian cabbage stir-fry), but that is a good idea!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I made the "fried rice" to accompany pork chops for dinner last night for my son and his fiancee. They both thought it was very delicious. She doesn't like the notion of frying it in butter (as per her diet restrictions), so I told her that it would probably work as well with olive oil. I may give that a try soon.

      Delete
  2. Susan, thank you for posting the recipe! Will give it a try - need to buy ground beef, though. Wonder how it will be with sausage meat, instead?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Because it is an Italian cabbage stir-fry my immediate thought was that sausage meat would be terrific to try next time. I think it would be scrumptious. I would try it anyway as I like to use up ingredients I have on hand. I may not wait to hear your reviews. I may try the sausage meat myself next time. Ha.

      Delete