Saturday, July 15, 2017

Tall Ships

 Last Saturday was a special treat. The tall ships were docked in Bath and I went as a guest of one of my friends who was gifted two passports for her birthday on Canada Day.
One of the street light posts on the main street in Bath.
In the park across from the water, vendors set up their displays of crafts. 

First tall ship we toured was a Canadian ship from Ottawa (a brigantine)

Some of the other ships we toured were from Canada, the U.S. and the Netherlands.

One of the many re-enactors from the Loyalist Days


Lots of ropes for the sails

This particular rope was the one that held the anchor for this ship



Each crew member had a kit bag that also contained his hammock

Other tall ships were not docked for touring but were anchored out in the water. Some of the ships were available for taking passengers out for a sail around Amherst Island.

One of the American ships ( Topsail schooner 3)

The Denis Sullivan had 10 sails





The Empire Sandy (Gaff schooner 3)  coming into dock having taken passengers out for a sail. It had just fired off a canon shot, and I was surprised I caught it on my camera.


I have over 80 photos of the day. We had such a wonderful time, and I will definitely be putting these pictures into a memory book later. I have some more photos of the vendors and the re-enactors in their costumes, but I will leave that for another post, as this one is getting kind of long.









4 comments:

  1. Did you take those pictures with your phone? Those are excellent, thanks so much for sharing them. It sounds like you really had a grand time. I especially like the picture of the lamp post, but the ships are magnificent. And such great costumes!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I used my Blackberry Playbook to take my photos. It isn't a phone. I haven't learned how to take pictures with my phone yet. It really was a great time. I am glad I could go.

      Delete
  2. How neat! I don't think I would ever particularly care to sail on a ship like this, but I do love being able to climb on and explore them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. None of us felt compelled to go for a sail on one. There really wasn't time for a 2 hour sail and still get to see everything we did that day. However, it might have been a spectacular shot of the sails if we had gone out. Maybe next time.

      Delete