Friday, May 9, 2014

My old-fashioned red and yellow tulips are beginning to blossom.


It is rare to have my daffodils and tulips out at the same time, but that is the case here this Spring. 
     In my last post I mentioned that I would probably begin making decorations for my 3 year old grandson's Disney Planes birthday party. Instead, I decided that I would go out into the flower beds and do some more weeding, because the rain did not arrive as it was threatening to do. I also pulled out some weeds from our gravel driveway. I need to buy some more table salt and vinegar to use as weed control there and in the cracks between our patio stones. Recipe is 1 gallon vinegar to 1 cup salt to one tbsp of dish soap. I only use this on areas where I don't want anything to grow. It will kill soil and any vegetation it touches, so in my garden and lawns, I dig out or pull weeds.  Cowboy stew was in the crockpot for dinner, so I worked outside for as long as I was able. When I came back inside, I tried to figure out the problem of how to alert my "fans" to my blog whenever I wrote a new post. I still haven't figured it out. I am such a newbie!


     So yesterday was the day I worked on the birthday party. First I made him a card. 
     Dusty Crophopper was printed onto a piece of white card stock from the computer and cut out with scissors. I used an orange mat on a turquoise blue card and sponged a turquoise blue ink onto my card base to resemble a cloudy sky. I popped up Dusty and one of the clouds with foam tape to give some dimension, and stamped "Hooray...It's your birthday" on another cloud. 
     I made some other decorations which I will share on Monday after I've taken pictures of them on site. Depending on the weather, we won't know whether to put decorations up outdoors or inside the house. I cut out and put together a mobile that will hang from the light in the dining area over the table. Here it is hanging from my ceiling fan. I got this mobile and several other ideas for the party at Spoonful printables
     Because the guest of honour is a three year old boy, I did not bother to come up with party games. I have a few colouring sheets and I made some paper airplanes for them to pretend to fly from here
Grandpa and I are also bringing to the kids some "previously used" outdoor toys from a yard sale, that were given to us for the grandkids...a covered sandbox and a Fisher Price tool shop, with all the battery-operated  tools. These should also keep the little guests occupied during the party, as they will be "new-to-them." I hope your weekend is as exciting as ours is shaping up to be. Talk to you soon. 






No comments:

Post a Comment