Wednesday, July 8, 2020

My Dad

He was a very good man. As the condolences come in, that is how almost every one of them begin. And they are right, of course. He treated people with respect and he was non-judgmental. He was an intellect and a voracious reader up until a couple of years ago. His macular degeneration and subsequent eye injections made it a little more difficult then. He really enjoyed the TV Bingo games and then the Trivia games on Saturday night. He won the game only 2 weeks ago. This past Saturday, because he could no longer talk, he tried everything to convey the answers to "Dee" who was writing the answers for him. I should have made that one a multiple choice so he could hold up fingers to indicate a,b,c or d. But I knew he probably had them all again. He was a history and geography high school teacher and vice principal before he retired. He traveled the world after retirement, so the questions on Canadian points of interest or tourist attractions was right up his alley.

We were so fortunate to be able to see him every morning on conference calls, even on Monday morning. He died later that afternoon and  "Dee" was with him. As you have probably guessed by now, "Dee" is much, much younger than him and absolutely adored him. I have been wondering (and yes, saying aloud), I didn't know what kept him going for so long.  "Dee" kept him going and I know now, that he was waiting for his wedding anniversary.  It was 45 years since the day they  met, and 41 years married on the day he died.

His mind was as sharp as a tack, but his body failed him and just shut down. I hope that is what is in store for me. We are missing him so much. There will not be a service. He has been cremated and later on (perhaps in a year), we will have a celebration of his life.

2 comments:

  1. (((HUGS))) Susan. My deepest sympathies to you, "Dee", and the rest of your family. You have some lovely memories of your dad and know they will bring you comfort during this time of loss.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have the greatest memories of him. They will forever bring a smile to my heart. Thank you Bless.

    ReplyDelete