Monday, September 25, 2017

Daybook Monday Sept. 25/17

Outside my window.....it is yet another hot sunny summer's day, except that it is the first week of Autumn. My front lawn needs cutting again. I have had to cut it every week all summer long.

I am thinking.....of all the things I need to accomplish this week before I leave on the train for the West Coast. I have been making a list and trying to stick to it in an effort to keep me focused on the important things. I have not been blogging in an effort to stay on task.

I am thankful for.....the AC unit that I have not yet taken out of my bedroom window yet, as I have been running it at night in order to sleep. I have not been feeling my best lately and I think it is the heat and humidity. I have been taking Tylenol for the headaches.

From the kitchen.....I am using up things from my fridge to make my meals. I have most of a bag of spinach, some zucchini, lots of peppers, cabbage, celery that needs to be eaten or prepared for the freezer so as not to waste anything.

I am wearing.....the same thing I wore yesterday. I have on denim capris and a burgundy printed T-shirt. I have not had my shower yet this morning. (No, I didn't sleep in these clothes)

I am creating.....a little bit of everything. I've finished making 14 Thanksgiving cards, 7 Halloween cards, some Christmas cards with treat boxes, and Christmas packaging for some of the gift  wrappings. There is a kind of disconnect between what I am doing in the Craft Room and the record breaking temperatures we have been experiencing.

I am going.....to the post office later today to pick up some expected deliveries, but I can't think of anywhere else I need to go.

I am hoping.....the nearby blasting will be done before I get back from out West. The first week I got through well enough;  but since then, the 3 or 4 blasts a day makes me jump out of my skin. It isn't the noise. It is the low rumbling that you feel under you.

I am hearing.....the window fan running beside me. The dog is lapping up more water from his dish.

Around the house.....my work is cut out for me as I have prepared a list of things that need doing in the next four days. Today I will concentrate on wrapping Christmas stocking stuffers to take with me.

One of my favourite things.....this past week has been a new-to-me  Cricut cartridge called "Mini Monsters" from which I made all of the kids Halloween cards this year.

A few plans for the rest of the week.....are written up into a list here.

Here's the picture I am sharing.....
 I forgot, as usual, to take pictures of the Thanksgiving Day cards, so you won't even get to see them after Thanksgiving is over. But I have decided to show you the Halloween cards because the kids don't read my blog.
 All these die cuts were made from the Cricut cartridge "Mini Monsters". It is an old one but I had only just ordered it from the Cricut site this summer because it was a good price and I have always wanted it.
The gifts for the Advent calendar are all bought and wrapped. Some of them are a little bigger than I would normally get because I didn't have the luxury of time to look for smaller items. If I thought she would like it, I just bought it.  She doesn't have a "calendar" anyways, as she just gets to pick one present a day through the month of December.


Some of the packaging I made from Christmas card stock bought last year on a sale. All these templates are free printables from the internet. They are great for holding odd shaped items that are difficult to wrap.

5 comments:

  1. I have card envy! Your cards are lovely!

    You have a lot to do before you leave on your trip, but I'm sure you'll get it all done. Have a fun week.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well, the "fun" part of the week I guess is the wrapping of Christmas presents. I always enjoy doing that; but like I said, there is a disconnect this week with what I am doing, and suffering through this heat wave. *laugh*

    ReplyDelete
  3. Those cards are so cute! You were right to buy the cartridge, it really was worth it.

    There is a kind of disconnect between what I am doing in the Craft Room and the record breaking temperatures we have been experiencing. This is how I feel when I go looking for Christmas cards and 99.99% of them feature snow, snowmen, snowy trees, igloos, polar bears, and the like. Christmas season for us in Florida with the hot cocoa and other snow weather activities is a total disconnect from what is being marketed everywhere, even down here!

    ReplyDelete
  4. That is exactly what I am thinking while I am wrapping in the heat. How does one get in the festive mood in Florida? California? Australia? Most of the wrapping paper have similar images to what you are describing. Unless your decor goes mostly toward the shiny foil and glitzy, sparkly tropical colours, how do you manage the holidays when you are in this constant disconnect?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Don't get me started about Australia (and the rest of the southern hemisphere). How weird is it that Christmas is in the SUMMER for them? It'd be like having it in August here. Ugh. At least it is somewhat cooler for us but we typically wear Tshirts and shorts on Christmas Day :) I'm finding it extremely hard to get in the holiday spirit now that the kids are (mostly) grown. If it weren't for the constant commercials on TV with Jingle Bells and sleigh rides and what not, I think I'd be able to just ignore it. I guess we're conditioned to buying items with snowy landscapes anyway. It'd be weirder if I had been born here but we did celebrate Christmas in the snow on many occasions in France so I guess I draw on my memories. But when it comes time to sending Christmas cards to my family, I look for Florida-themed Christmas cards, which can be hard to find.

      I do wait until after December 1 to do all my wrapping though. You just reminded me, however, that I was thinking about doing an Advent thing for the kids this year so I need to get going to find trinkets for this!

      Delete