Friday, September 1, 2017

More Money Spent

August may be over, but the spending just keeps going on. I started today by receiving 3 yards more of gravel. The cost for this load was $135.60

This is what 3 yards of gravel looks like.
This is what it looks like after 3 hours of hard manual labour....not that much different.
Slowly but surely, the area is getting covered over.I figure that two more nice days this weekend should do it. Hopefully, there will be enough gravel this time to fill in the hole left by the pond liner. I came inside about 12:30 and noticed there was a phone message waiting for me from my Optometrist's office. My glasses were in. I had a quick lunch and showered before leaving for town.Cost of my new glasses was $199. I walked over to Food Basics to pick up some eggs and milk, and picked up a few specials for the week.
Dairy cost $16.90 
2 dozen eggs at $1.97 each
2 cartons of heavy whipping cream at $2.49 each
200 g of Feta Cheese $3.99
2 litres of whole milk $3.99

Meat cost $10.76 
2 pkgs. of thick sliced bacon for $2.88 each
twin pack of sliced cajun chicken is $5

Produce cost me $16.91 
cauliflower is still $1.88 each
green cabbage is $.88 a pound
zucchini is $.88 a pound
garlic bulb was $.75

Non-food items cost $5.88 for a total grocery bill of $51.21 including tax. On the way home, I stopped to put $50 of gas in the van.

Last weekend my son and his fiancee left me an eggplant that they didn't use up while making eggplant parmesan. I didn't want to waste it, so I tried a recipe tonight for a low carb Moussaka from the Keto diet I am on. Doesn't it look gorgeous? It doesn't taste like the one from my favouite Greek restaurant, but it was delicious. I also didn't use lamb. I used lean ground hamburger. The Bechamel sauce was made by mixing my homemade yoghurt with 100 g of crumbled feta cheese and 3 egg yolks. Yum. I will be keen to make this again. 







 

4 comments:

  1. I always have the same problem with mulch. Greg comes back with what looks like a huge pile from the wholesaler, and by the time we've used it all up, it really wasn't enough! We've (well I've) been lazy and I really need to re-add mulch to our berms and my garden as the "berm" has really flattened and Greg had created it to redirected any water running down the hill towards our house during big storms, and we have tons of weeds in the garden. I need to lay down more cardboard too. I have something like 4 boxes, probably not enough. This means I need to order more stuff from Amazon, right? LOL.

    Your Moussaka looks delicious! I can't believe how expensive eggs are for you guys. Are those regular eggs or the fancy kind? A dozen of regular large eggs has been 57 cents at Aldi down here for quite a few weeks now. I keep on buying them even though I don't really need them because I can't believe how cheap they are. I have 4 dozens in the fridge right now!

    Have a great weekend, Susan. Careful not to overdo it... my usual piece of advice. As for me, I'm under dentist order not to do ANYTHING for 4 days, not even speak (!) so you bet I'll be taking this to heart :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Holy Crap! You are not only given permission not to do anything, you have ORDERS. Way to go, Nathalie. As far as my graveling project, I need to get this done. It is getting so tiresome. I think the forecast is calling for rain moving in tonight and into tomorrow morning. I have four cauliflower to cut up for the freezer, two cabbage to shred and the dog is down to his last two cookies. It is the only thing I bake anymore. Ha.

    Speaking of mulching, I haven't done any more weeding and mulching since the day the first load of gravel was delivered. I need to finish that up before the end of September, and I am left with only two bags of mulch. I may need to consider buying some more of that in order to finish the job. The grass needs cutting again and don't get me started on the housework not getting done. When am I going to start preparing for Christmas? Gaaaah!

    Eggs are expensive here. Well, when I compare them to what you are paying, they are. Still, they are a good bargain for the nutrition they supply. No, they are not fancy eggs. This is the price of the cheapest "no-brand name" run of the mill eggs.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That looks like a lot of gravel to shovel and spread, Susan! You did a lot of work! I enjoyed seeing the prices of your grocery items. Your price for bacon is very comparable to what I pay when it goes on sale at the Armenian grocery store and I have paid $1.99 for a dozen eggs at times and considered that a good price. Cauliflower and zucchini sells for $.99/lb. at the regular grocery store; I buy them when they go on sale for $.39 at the Armenian store. I am not sure how much whipping cream is, but I think it costs more than $2.49 and I don't buy feta cheese, so don't know how much that costs, either.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It is a lot of gravel to shovel and spread around. I just couldn't seem to get out the door yesterday. I was so unmotivated to go shovel more gravel, so I stayed in to bake dog biscuits, shred and cook a head of cabbage, and clean and cut up the four cauliflower for the freezer. I updated 4 pages of my new Christmas card list with correct new addresses. I made 3 birthday cards and "played with" a new-to-me Christmas Cricut cartridge. I only went outside to take the dog out, bring the wash in off the line and feed the garden composter with all those kitchen scraps. Now I am feeling guilty about not having shoveled because today it is raining.

    ReplyDelete