Monday, July 21, 2014

I believe these are called Shirley poppies. I didn't plant them. They just appeared one year and self seed every year and everywhere, including my driveway. If all the weeds in my driveway looked like these, I wouldn't mind so much. They are very short-lived, but are very pretty with large full (peony-like) pinky mauve blooms. 
     My plans to weed the gardens did not materialize this weekend. I did get my laundry done and hung out though. I spent my indoor time working on a project that I wanted to do very much, but as always seems to happen, I procrastinated getting it started until almost the last minute. But it is finished and now I work on the next priority. Whether these "deadlines" are self-imposed or not, it seems lately that my accomplishments are done... . in the eleventh hour.....under the gun...I'm putting out fires....all those cliches. So this morning I went out to the veggie garden to try and finish what I started Friday. Well, I did most of what I set out to do, but I am still not finished. The sun was hot and the cicadas were so loud, I thought my ear drums were going to bleed. But I persevered for an hour or better. I am satisfied with what I accomplished. I came in to have a cool shower and some lunch. This week is supposed to remain very hot; but, I think cooler weather is supposed to move back in next week. 

     So I sent my SP into town with a list to pick up for me.... 1.5  litre ketchup,  500 gm cheese ($4.88 at Food Basics), 2 lbs.onions, 5 lbs. carrots, 8  litres of milk, and 4 pounds of hamburger,  for only $21.25 I am hoping this is the last grocery shop for the month. Last night we enjoyed some Mexican tacos. I didn't have sour cream, but I was able to use up all the soft tortillas, the last of the romaine lettuce, and two partial jars of salsa taking up room in the fridge. A while back, I received in the mail a free "Mrs. Dash" taco seasoning packet, so I used that instead of my home made taco seasoning (I need to make another batch as I am completely out again) It was excellent. Not that I would buy it, but I would recommend it. I also used some of that cheddar that was picked  up on the weekend, and some home made refried beans from the freezer.  Tonight I am revisiting Meatless Monday with stir fried vegetables over oven baked "stir-fry" rice. I am keeping myself up and awake by going to the kitchen  to make more seasoned croutons, bread pudding, and my stretched out hamburger (with onions, celery, peppers and carrots) BTW, those cucumbers from the garden were good.


No comments:

Post a Comment