Tuesday, September 2, 2014

My frugal week

What I have always called my Fall Asters, but they are more likely mums. Certainly the leaves appear to be Chrysanthemums, but these are extremely hardy and grow quite tall.

Garden: I had to cut my lawn again, front and back: but, I did not mow the back property  (the back 40 acres I call it....the extra lot we bought on which we put our veggie garden) I will have to do that when it cools down a bit. 
Our cucumber plants are still steadily producing. The yellow squash is finished. I brought in the remaining cauliflower. One was perfect....white, firm and compact. I don't think I have cut the flower soon enough. I let them go too long, mainly because I don't know when to harvest. They have gone purple (too much sun???) and spindly. The one very nice vegetable was closest to the shady part of the garden and was the last fruit to appear.  I still don't know if I will try again. We have lots of cherry tomatoes, but not a lot of the bigger ones. We are still able to eat all of them fresh...none for freezing. 

DIY: My SP replaced the rotor on one of the Jeep's front brakes this week. I was able to make some cards, but none are cards I plan to give as Christmas gifts. These are my Autumn/Thanksgiving cards, and then I will have to make the kids on my list, some spooky Hallowe'en cards. I picked up a few more supplies from Michael's to make some of my Xmas gifts this year. (There was a 50%off a regular priced item this weekend)

Organizing: I haven't felt very organized lately. It is so overwhelming, I don't know where to start. So yesterday, when I received my first email for... (ready for this?).... getting organized for Christmas, I decided that THIS year I am going to follow the plan. This week I have to deal with all the paperwork in the house. If I do one room in the house each of the 4 remaining days this week, I won't get it finished, but I will have a good start at it. 

Savings: I sent a photo of my Shopper's Drug Mart receipt to SnapSaves to receive another $1 on my account (for buying milk) I bought a $25 Shoppers gift card  for the points and then got more points when I used it to pick up Saturday's one day sale. (eg. eggs were only $1.77 a doz.) Tostitos were on  2 for $5, but I had a coupon for another $1.50 off. After buying bread and milk, there is still over $11 on the card  for later in the month. I also shopped at Giant Tiger, spending just over $57 My best buys were 2 kg of peanut butter for only $2.50, Primo pasta for  63 cents a package, 16 pack of Energizer batteries for only $6.93  I bought AA's and AAA's. I also picked up my hamburger and a dinner ham, also on sale. I have been very fortunate to get a lot of my needed craft materials from my local Amherstview Dollar store, saving me a lot of money. Of course, I'm not saving money if I am spending. But you know what I mean. 






No comments:

Post a Comment