Friday, August 29, 2014

Thank goodness for those very few annuals my husband picked up in the Spring. At the end of the summer my perennial garden is looking a little sad. I noticed my neighbour has pulled out or cut back everything and has tilled up the soil. It looks very neat and tidy. 

I started this morning early at No-Frills to pick up just the flyer specials. I am kicking myself for not being prepared with my coupons cut out and sorted. I have sort of fallen off the wagon in that regard. Kraft slices were on sale for only $2.47 but I had a coupon at home for another $1 off. I also bought Cavendish frozen hashbrowns for only $1.47, but I had a coupon for a further 75 cents off that sale price. You are probably thinking, "I thought you didn't buy processed food". Well, that's usually the case; but, I like convenience as much as anyone, and when the price is right....well. There are a lot of fast easy recipes on the internet that call for a bag of frozen hashbrowns. That being the case, I may redeem myself by picking up another before the sale ends, and remember to use my coupon. We go through a LOT of cheese, so if I can slow down the consumption by offering the processed slices, I will. I priced matched a large tub of Balkan yoghurt (Freshco), but that was all the price matching I did. I think I will go directly to Giant Tiger and Shoppers Drug Mart tomorrow morning. 

 All the major grocers have a lot of great sales on cases of fresh Ontario produce. I have never canned or preserved before and I am hesitant to start on my own.  So I didn't buy anything except for a basket of peaches  for only $2.88 which I hope we can finish this week. I need the little room I have in my small freezer for any veggies from the garden that start ripening faster than we can eat 'em up. I also stockpiled some "canned meat" for the pantry that were also on sale....4 tins of Maple Leaf flakes of chicken and turkey for $5, and 2 tins of Holiday lunch meat (Spam) for 98 cents each. 
The only meat I bought was frozen  breakfast sausage and steakettes for the barbeque. My total was only $52.00 Enjoy a great holiday weekend everyone. I can scarcely believe we are going into Fall. 


No comments:

Post a Comment