Wednesday, March 11, 2015

Building up the pantry

Bulk buying from the Bulk Barn
The container in the back corner holds some of the quick oatmeal I bought this morning, but not quite all of it. No matter. We use a lot of this cereal. The round 4 litre ice-cream container holds the cornmeal. I was completely out of both of these cereals. The last two containers hold my whole wheat flour. I still have lots of white all-purpose flour.

The container in the back corner holds red kidney beans, while the container beside it holds my yellow split peas. Two jars hold black beans and two jars hold popping corn. 

Here I have brown sugar, semi-sweet chocolate chips, and chopped walnuts. The walnuts I keep fresh by keeping them in my freezer. The repurposed Tostitos jar has granulated garlic and the large plastic bulk barn container is full of coconut oil. I don't use it for cooking. I mostly use this oil for moisturizer. Skin, hair and nails love coconut oil. I went to Bulk Barn today on Wednesday to take advantage of the 10% off for Seniors discount. My total bill came out at $83.28, which seemed a lot at first,  but this will probably last me 6 months or longer. 

I will probably do some grocery shopping tomorrow as we have been eating from the freezer and pantry for the last two weeks, since all of us have been sick with colds. We still have frozen meats, but our fresh fruit and veggies need replenishing. As well, I need to pick up some more dairy.

 I have been watching several BBC series on Youtube the last few days.....one on the Tudor Monastary farm, Tales from the Green Valley (farming during the seventeenth century) and finally  the Victorian farmer. I have watched some of these shows before and loved them, but I  learn even more when I go back now and watch them again. Today I will start watching the Edwardian farm series. The older I get, the more interested I have become in history.  I don't remember anything of history from when I was in school. I want to change that. That is where the internet comes in handy. Free lessons. 




No comments:

Post a Comment