Monday, March 16, 2015


Dry soup mixes
I like to have a soup pot simmering on the stove from the first frosty days of Autumn into the cooler evenings of Spring. Usually I have stock made from chicken, turkey or veggie peelings I have saved in the freezer; but, sometimes I don't. That is when it is nice to have a dry soup mix that I can add to water and simmer for an hour or two. And of course, it is so easy to make your own. A few years ago for Christmas, my son put some of these soup mixes together into quart mason jars, tied a scrap of Xmas fabric around the top with some jute, and attached cooking directions to a tag. They were very beautiful looking. They make great  gifts and are wonderful  sellers at your local craft and bake sales. Most of the recipes I have contain beans, but a few of them like those in the photo, contain barley, split peas, lentils, pasta and rice that cook up rather quickly (like 45 mins) Because the jars contain the seasonings, spices and/or bouillon powder, you don't have to add a thing but water. However, it is also a good time to add those bits and pieces from the fridge in order to cut down on food waste. Anything goes. 

I watched some more you tube videos on the weekend. Out of 12 Edwardian Farm videos that were made by the BBC, two of them had been removed. I may be able to find them at a later date. I was able to find a series of 5 Medieval ones however, by the same actors called "Secrets of the Castle" I love these series, especially the Wartime Farm. I love to rewatch them and pick up different things that I missed the first time around.....like owning a favourite book I suppose. I did a little more grocery shopping on Friday morning, and caught up my laundry on Saturday. I had to make more laundry detergent. Well gotta go pick up my son from work. Talk later. 



No comments:

Post a Comment