Monday, March 23, 2015

Started my list and I'm checking it twice.

Colouring my hair. All this beauty does not come naturally.

   I did some grocery shopping yesterday in Napanee. I started at Giant Tiger by picking up this weeks Specials. A Maple Leaf dinner ham was less than half of the regular price, so I bought one to slice up into smaller packaging for the freezer. Other great deals were Redpath sugar for $1.44, Maple Leaf hotdogs for $1.47 a package, Primo diced tomatoes for 99 cents a can, celery at $1, and whole wheat D'Italiano bread for  $1.88 a loaf. I stocked up at these prices. I also bought a 1.5 Kg frozen meat lasagna for only $5 (half the regular price), some Easter candy and some clothing items for the boys while I am away in Vancouver for Easter. 

   Next I shopped at No Frills. I checked out the produce clearance cart as usual and was rewarded by some great deals on peppers, broccoli and parsnips. Some of the broccoli and parsnips were oven roasted with potatoes and carrots as part of last night's dinner. By the way, 20 pounds of russet potatoes are on sale this week for $2.87 at No Frills. I price-matched Pedigree dog food for $4 less than the usual price with Wal Mart's flyer. I bought a whole roasting chicken for less than $2 a pound, and other loss leaders included Cascade dishwasher detergent for only $3.97, and Gay Lea butter at $2.88 a pound. I put the butter straight into the freezer. We use Becel margarine, but for baking I like to have real butter on hand. 

   This morning I washed and  seeded the peppers and  sliced them into strips for the freezer. They were still very crisp but I will use these  in stir fries and casseroles in the future. The rest of the parsnips were peeled and julienned  for the freezer as well.  We finished the last of the "mason jar"  soup yesterday at lunch, so I made a new batch of soup this morning with stock I made in the crockpot yesterday with vegetable peelings I had saved  in the freezer. I put in some onion, celery, tomatoes, carrots, leftover cooked chicken, cooked navy beans (all from the freezer), as well as some macaroni from the pantry to make another robust soup for this week. I also baked up some more peanut butter doggie treats. I cooked 2 pounds of ground meat with 6 Italian sausages which I removed from their casings with diced celery, onion and grated carrot to make a lot of cooked ground meat to make into dinners this week. We are having Shepherd's Pie tonight, but haven't thought of what else I will start tomorrow. I coloured my hair with my favourite dye which I got from WalMart a few weeks ago when it was $4 less than the regular price. I have started to write down things I want to accomplish this week as I think of them. I can't trust my memory anymore to remember what needs to be gathered or finished before I leave. Did anybody else get some great grocery deals this weekend?

No comments:

Post a Comment