Tuesday, June 16, 2015

Geraniums

I haven't been posting for over a week. I haven't been outside much either. We have received our share of rainfall last week, which I was glad to see; so,  I have been indoors most of the time making some badly needed birthday cards for my stash. My granddaughter in BC loaned me one of her Cricut cartridges when I was there visiting this Spring, so I took the opportunity last week to take some cuts from the cartridge to make some cards.

Last Sunday (a week ago) my brother and his wife from Smith Falls took me again to the Picton Cheese Festival. This was a Christmas present from them. I bought 3 different wines, lots of cheese, smoked sausage and a variety of red pepper jellies. I spent too much, but it is all food and drink, so that is allowed in my estimation. Anything that is considered a consumable is not a waste of finances. We ate one of the soft cheeses on crackers, but I put all the firmer cheeses in the freezer to enjoy later in various recipes.  The sausage has gone into homemade pizza already. It was so good that I am wishing I had bought more of it.

During some sunny breaks I did some weeding in my front flower beds and took advantage of the sunnier weather to dry laundry on the clothesline.

The front and back lawns have both been cut again this week.

I have run low on a lot of my "make your own" recipes....powdered laundry detergent, brown gravy mix and taco mix. I have had to replenish those.

 My son bought himself  hair clippers from an on-line store and my husband agreed to let me use them to cut his hair. They did a really good job...very easy to use. 

I have been grocery shopping this week and bought a lot of "specials". I have already spent over my grocery allowance for the month of June, but I have picked up a lot of things to put away for later in the summer when we will be entertaining out-of-town guests. I plan to use up some things from the freezer in the second half of this month, to make room for the veggies that will need to be frozen as they are harvested. All of my seeds have sprouted, and I have had to bury my potato plants in the barrels once already this past week.

I have started a change jar. When I find nickles or dimes, they go into my jar. Any change that is larger  than that, goes into my grocery money jar. At he end of the year, it may be fun to see just how much the small change adds up. These small coins are "lost" in the furniture, in the wash, etc., and obviously are not considered worthy enough to pick up and keep. So I will show the boys just how much money is tossed away without regard. After the first week, I have $2.60

I bought a ticket on the Mega Bus for next Tuesday. I am going to  help my daughter and SIL with their move to the new house in Bradford  My job will be to distract my grandchildren while mom and dad do the packing up. 

This morning started out rainy and now the dark clouds are moving in again. I don't mind the rain, especially if it means a change of weather is moving in. But it has been uncomfortably humid lately, so I am really looking to cooler temperatures. I have a lot more weeding to do. Bye for now. 

2 comments:

  1. I like your geraniums! The loose change... one of my brothers, who doesn't have a lot of money to start with, told me a couple of days ago that whenever he finds loose change in his pockets, HE JUST THROWS IT AWAY. Say what?! I'm 48 and he is 46 and a cop and much taller than me but I almost smacked him when he told me that. The disregard he has for money is astounding. I told him to keep it in a jar from now on and give it to me next time I visit because I WILL find ways to spend change :) Absolutely ridiculous.

    Have fun with your grandchildren!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I wonder if that is a "man thing". I know that when I am in a store, I will count out change to pay for something. Men on the other hand, seem to prefer breaking a bill before they use coins. Well, let them empty out their pockets of change. I will take it. And I guess, all this time, I have been taking it and using it; but now, I will save it up for a while. I think they will be amazed at the amount.

    ReplyDelete