Monday, June 5, 2017

Daybook: Monday, June 5/17

Outside my window.....it is overcast and spitting rain. It is a little bit chilly. The front lawn could be cut again and I see more weeds to be pulled in my flower beds. It is never-ending.

I am thinking.....I could lie down for a wee nap this afternoon.

I am thankful for..... a lovely sunny and warm Saturday and my son and GF coming here in the afternoon to help me tackle some of the yard work.

From the kitchen.....I have pulled a square (1/2 cup) of margarine from the fridge to soften. I am hoping to make an apple crisp today. Yesterday I baked a batch of dog biscuits, made some turkey vegetable soup and pulled off all the meat from the turkey I roasted for Saturday's dinner. I have lots of meat in the freezer now for casseroles and pot pie.

I am wearing.....a filthy pair of denims and peach coloured T-shirt that I need to change out of. I spent some time this morning outside working. I picked up stuff from those areas of the yard where I haven't been able to cut the grass, and threw it into the trailer to have hauled away. I even ran the lawn mower over much of the area (with the blade deck raised)  so that we can rake up more materials. My goal this summer is to have the whole property cleaned up and leveled so I can easily use the mower to keep it maintained. I am also seriously considering taking out one of my flower beds and changing it back to lawn.

I am creating.....some cards. Instead of vegging out yesterday (which was my plan) I made another Father's Day card for my step-dad, and two "Welcome Summer" cards for my two grand kids in Bradford. I made 2 more birthday cards and a thank you card for my stockpile, and I stamped and fussy cut flowers and leaves for future cards.

I am going.....nowhere else today. I have already been to the post office to mail out a parcel, 2 Father's Day cards, and three birthday cards. I stopped at the Municipal office to pay my water bill before continuing to Amherstview Shoppers Drug Mart to buy 4 liters of skim milk, 2 loaves of whole wheat bread and a discounted liter of 3% milk with which I will make yoghurt tomorrow. I was able to pay with the remainder of my $50 gift card I bought last month. There is only 14 cents remaining.

I am hoping.....to get my veggie garden in this week. My very good friend from Charlestown Lake called this morning. The weather forecasted for this week does not look great, so we are aiming for Thursday. I was able to finish weeding all of my veggie garden on Saturday morning. I have not yet roto-tilled it. If I can't run the machine, I will use a garden fork on it. I still need to go to my local nursery to buy my veggie starts.

I am hearing.....school buses go by and children walking home from school.

Around the house.....I could use the vacuum to clean the floors upstairs, but I think I need to have more company over before I feel motivated to do that. At the very least, I need to start first thing in the morning before I venture outside.

One of my favourite things.....is my lawnmower. After having it repaired and tuned up this Spring, it is so very easy to start. I feel so much better about my yard when the grass is cut and trimmed.

A few plans for the rest of the week......include more days outside to keep working on the yard and the flower beds. I also need to get the vegetable garden put in.

Here's the picture I am sharing.....my first Oriental poppy bloomed today.





2 comments:

  1. Lovely poppy! Sounds like you had a very busy day on Monday. I wish we could have some of your rain! It would be so nice for the garden. Hope you have a lovely week. Take care.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. These poppies are big and showy and I love having them in my garden, but they are so short-lived.

      Delete