Wednesday, June 21, 2017

Kiwi Garden "Art in the Garden"

I think I have wasted enough time this afternoon trying to figure out why some of the photos are posting sideways. I cannot figure out how to move them clockwise to straighten them out for you to see. So I will only post these ones here. I love any kind of metal sculpture for the garden, especially old iron implements that are re purposed into art. I loved this turtle using a large piece of igneous rock as the body.


Loved these old saw blades, carved out and left to rust naturally. I wish I could do welding.


Sorry. I can't even tell you what these figures are crafted from. They didn't grab me like they did for my son's GF, who took lots of pictures of them.  They looked kind of neat playing in the trees, swinging or climbing up ropes.




But I am kind of traditional in that I would rather have cute animals in the garden than these figures of people.
Birdhouses are my absolute favourite. I have pictures of those, but until I can get them on here up and down. I won't bother putting them on. 

So on Monday I cut the front and back lawns again and spent about an hour outside weeding one of the front garden beds again. I picked strawberries.They aren't very big, but they are plentiful for the few plants I have.



 Yesterday I started my day by driving into Amerstview to drop off my prescription and picking up a few groceries I needed, including 2 packets of Certo and a bag of sugar. I got my 2 loaves of bread, 4 liters of milk and one dozen eggs. I picked up 2 cans of Heinz Zoodles for when the grand kids come next. They were on sale for 99 cents a tin. I spent the afternoon cleaning and hulling all of the berries above, as well as the ones I picked last week and put in the fridge. I made 2 batches of freezer jam, put some sliced berries into a strawberry gelatin dessert and froze a quart bag for later on (perhaps a strawberry-rhubarb pie??)
To be honest, I feel I didn't accomplish much today. I changed out my bedsheets, soaked some things in bleach water and did up a super load of laundry. I folded and put away one load of laundry. I picked up the trashcans from all around the house for the garbage pickup in the morning. There wasn't enough for the pickup last week. I sorted out all the Blue Box recyclables  to put out in the morning. I worked with my Cricut machine for a short while and made some comments on blogs. I did not go outside at all today. There were no big accomplishments....just a bunch of small household chores that needed doing. Some days are like that. Have a great rest of the week, everyone.
And for those of you who like to see the flowers, here are some more peonies.
 Love the colour of these bright pink ones with bright yellow centers.
But love the size and fullness of these pale pink flowers.


7 comments:

  1. I LOOOOOOOVE all your picture and none of them are sideways. I'm going to do a post for you to explain an option to put your pictures right side up if you have that problem again (it happens to me all the time, even if they're not sideways or upside down in my computer, they show up that way when I post or email them to someone, at times). I'll try to do it tonight, possibly.

    Until you mentioned that the first picture was a turtle, I thought it was a kind of abstract art installation, hahaha. I had completely missed the head. Now I definitely see a turtle, of course. How great that you have access to shows like this one.

    The saws are gorgeous, but I'd worry about someone cutting themselves on the sharp teeth and picking up tetanus!

    Thanks for mentioning that you bought eggs, I had forgotten to add them to my shopping list for tomorrow (I didn't go today).

    Look at all your strawberries! That's crazy! That's lovely! Yes, make some pie! Or that strawberry summer cake that I make once in a while (although that doesn't use many strawberries), or eat them with cream and sugar! Oh yum, I want them all! I finished the last of the strawberries that I bought last Friday at lunchtime and I hope they're still cheap enough for me to buy tomorrow.

    I think you did plenty today. What's the rush in getting everything done in one day, anyway? Go at your own rhythm, enjoy life!

    And please continue posting pictures of your backyard. I want to see that pond you have talked about!


    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you very much Nathalie for posting a solution to my problem of sideways pictures. It is just what I needed. I sent out the rest of the photos this morning in a separate post.

    Yes the saws are gorgeous and yes I would be concerned about leaving them down for someone to cut themselves. But I think I would probably hang them high on my wooden fence or on an exterior wall of the house.

    I looked up your recipe for strawberry cake because I had it in mind to make one. Your recipe called for one pound of strawberries, so I thought I had better find out how much that was before I started. I am guessing it is 2 cups??

    And no you don't want to see my pond. I already told you it wasn't cleaned up yet. I just managed to remove the water the other day with a submersible pump. If I can get some help this weekend to clean it up, I will show it to you. *laugh*

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. About 2 cups should do the trick. You just need enough halves to cover the surface of the cake before baking it.

      I misunderstood about the pond, I thought you had already sunken in a planter in it. I guess that was just your plans for it. And yes, hanging the saws on a wall or a fence would work, I didn't even think of them as hanging ornaments!

      Delete
  3. Oh, yum! Look at all those strawberries! Lucky you! My two plants both died and I had a harvest of one single strawberry!

    Love those peonies, too. So beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Quite a few berries for one harvest, eh? There are too many to keep up with, so I am freezing the majority of them.

      Delete
  4. The garden show looks like a fun time -- lots of neat things to admire. But really I wanted to comment on the peonies. They are GORGEOUS!! My favorite flower. They were in my wedding bouquet and sadly do not grow well here in Florida or my yard would be full of peony bushes. And what an awesome crop of strawberries!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are right. Peonies are lovely flowers and I should get more. At the very least, I should be splitting up my plants to create more.

      Delete