Tuesday, June 13, 2017

Daybook: Tuesday, June 13/17

Outside my window.....the weather has been very changeable today. We have had sunshine at times, but mostly overcast and even periods of rain. It is cooler than it was yesterday, which was just too hot and uncomfortable to do anything.

I am thinking.....that I have not accomplished much since the grand kids went home on Sunday. The only things I got done yesterday was a trip into the LifeLabs to have blood drawn (I waited more than an hour), I watered all my indoor plants and the two hanging baskets under my verandah, and lastly, I slept all afternoon.

I am thankful for.....electric fans. I have not needed my window air conditioner yet but I keep the fans turned on to keep it comfortable.

From the kitchen.....I am making a batch of yoghurt right now. I cut up the pork loin into several chops and one small roast. I peeled and chopped up the remainder of the 5 lb. bag of imperfect carrots to freeze because I am not eating them up fast enough. I have been eating up leftovers from the weekend and making iced tea every morning. 


I am wearing....."working in the yard clothes" except that I didn't go outside all day. I am wearing denim capris and an oversized T-shirt.

I am creating.....nothing since the weekend; but I have been saving and printing out several different card sketches that I would like to try some day.

I am going.....nowhere today.

I am hoping.....for fair weather for the rest of the week so I can feel motivated to get outside once again.

I am hearing.....nothing else but the sound of the window fan beside me.

Around the house.....are bouquets of garden flowers that the grand kids cut and brought into the house. They also enjoyed checking the strawberry patch to see if any berries had ripened yet. We only found three.

One of my favourite things.....is finding evidence of the grand kids having been here. There are coloured beads that I missed putting away into the plastic bags that sort them by colour. There are papers, stamps and stickers  "from the office"  and pages from the printer where they were publishing their books. Every once in a while I find a stray toy that never made it back into the cupboard.

A few plans for the rest of the week.....include making appointments with the family physician and my eye doctor (no, I didn't do that yet). This Sunday on Father's Day, my son and his GF are taking me to Kiwi Gardens in Perth to see the "Art in the Garden". I am really looking forward to this.

Here's a picture I am sharing......the wind from Sunday blew a lot of rose petals off the bush.


4 comments:

  1. Coincidentally, I didn't exercise even though I was wearing exercise clothes all day, so don't feel bad about not working in the yard :)

    It sounds like you had a "grand" old time (ha!) with the grands. How lovely that your daughter brought them to visit you. I have such fond memories of spending time at my maternal grandmother's house. She had the best catch-all drawer and I always started my stay by emptying that drawer on her kitchen table to see what new "treasures" had accumulated in there since my last visit. And she let me make forts out of sugar cubes when it was raining outside. And she kept Grand Marnier ice cream bars in her freezer. Oh yum!

    I need to schedule an eye doctor appointment as well. I'm afraid that I'll need a stronger prescription this year.

    It's nice that you haven't had to run the AC yet. Ours is running a lot, as you can imagine, and we're all also running electric fans in our bedrooms at night (well, the three of us who sleep upstairs, it gets hot upstairs).

    I hope your blood tests come back OK, that nicer and cooler weather is on its way, and that you have a good time with your son and GF this weekend. I think Youngest Son and I will take Greg out to breakfast at his favorite place but we'll go on Saturday instead of Sunday so as to beat the crowds. My daughter will spend the weekend at her dad's.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, I have to admit. It was a grand time. Fortunately, mom was still here supervising. She makes them "toe the line", whereas Grandma tends to be a push-over. Rick gifted me a sign one Christmas that hangs over the kitchen door. It says, "I can at Grandma's."
    I have an eye appointment for the end of June. Haven't made the doctor's appointment yet. I kind of suspect they will be calling me. I looked at my blood results on-line and my blood sugar is up. It usually runs high, but this may be too high for comfort. I may be on the Diabetic Exchange Diet whether I want to be or not.

    I think I may need to install my AC window unit in the bedroom this weekend. The summer temperatures are supposed to be arriving next week.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love the picture of your rose bush! Look at all those flowers on it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And now there are just a handful of blooms left on it. Perennials are wonderful to have but most of them are so short-lived. They shine in all their wonderful glory for a day or two, then they are gone. The downside is that the plants themselves take up room and make the garden look "wild" (think English Country garden. But on the good side is the fact that the garden is ever-changing. Each week there are different flowers coming along that completely changes the look of the yard. Annuals are the constant element, but obviously more expensive, so I generally only keep them in pots and planters.

      Delete