Tuesday, June 27, 2017

Wet and Chilly Tuesday

I wanted to get out in the garden at least for an hour each day. So I am guessing that if you add up all the times I tried to go out and weed yesterday, I think that cumulatively I probably spent an hour out of doors. Each time I tried, it would begin to rain again and would send me indoors. Last night we had an electrical storm move through our area and it dumped quite a bit of driving rain. This morning we again had some more rain and some very cold temperatures for the end of June. When I checked the weather, it was only 15 Celsius, feeling like 14. (57 degrees Fahrenheit)  Does that mean there was a wind chill factor? Anyway, the sun is trying to come out now at 1 PM and it is supposed to warm up to a whopping 18 degrees for a high. 
I did not make iced tea this morning because there is still some left from yesterday. I have been drinking cups of hot tea to warm up.

On Sunday, I finally left for Amerstview to pick up my prescription that I had dropped off last Monday. While there I spent another $13.26 on a few things. I wanted oatmeal to make more oatmeal cranberry muffins and some herbal tea bags to make iced tea. I chose to buy lemon and ginger tea because I like a flavoured tea cold. I also picked up another dozen eggs because they were on for only $1.99 and a package of mozzarella cheese. Next time I go to the Dollar Tree, I think I will pick up some herbal tea there.

Yesterday I packaged up 4 bags of strawberries for the freezer (2 cups each) that I had washed and hulled on Sunday afternoon.

I spent the rest of the time, when I wasn't outside pulling weeds, commenting on blogs and waiting for the rain to stop. As many of you know, I don't plan a weekly menu because it is just me to cook for,  so I have decided to just report on what I have eaten during the last week.

Monday:  pork chop, boiled potato, burgundy beans
Tuesday: chicken stir fry over Ramen noodles
Wednesday: left-over chicken stir fry over brown rice
Thursday: battered fish fillets (pollack), boiled potatoes, carrots
Friday: chicken  nuggets (in the freezer from when my grands were here), boiled potatoes,  peas
Saturday: baked chicken breasts in mushroom soup, mashed potatoes, carrots and green beans, and strawberry cake with more strawberries and whipped cream for dessert.
Sunday: the last 2 battered fish fillets, boiled potatoes, niblets corn

Here are some photos of what is in the garden this week.
Yellow flowers are common Primrose

Blue and white Campanula (peach leaved Bell Flowers)

Lavender

Pink Spirea bush

Fushia flowers grow on the Rose Campion

 Spider Wort or Widow's Tears come in shades of blue and purple

as well as white
Yellow Loosestrife
I will be adding up my grocery receipts to report how much I was over my household budget for June. 

9 comments:

  1. Your flowers are so gorgeous! It's like looking at a floral festival!

    I'm so amazed that you cook for yourself every day and each time a new dish! I think it it were just me, I might just cook 1 dish for the whole week and then just reheat it every day.

    I cannot believe how cold it is in your neck of the woods! It's going to do wonders for your hydro bill, though, since you don't need to run your air conditioner upstairs, right? It's been raining a lot here too, since yesterday, but it's hot. And the AC is running non-stop.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, in a way I AM kind of eating up the same things. I bought the chicken nuggets and the battered fish fillets for when my grand children came visiting. I opened up the packages and cooked some up for them, so I kind of wanted to use those up before they became encrusted with ice. It took a couple of meals this past week to finally finish up the fish, and one more meal of chicken nuggets to finish up the box. I made the chicken stir fry which was two meals in a row (once with noodles and then with instant brown rice) and there were leftovers from Saturday's dinner with my son and his GF which I finished up on Monday night. I do make up pots of soup, chili and stew, but I usually divvy it up into freezer portions so I can warm them up during the course of the month. Even when you are just cooking for one, you want a little variety.

      YOU can't believe how cold it is here? Neither can WE. A friend called yesterday morning and told me she had her furnace on "just to take the chill off".

      Delete
  2. Susan, that's too cold for summer! But I do envy you all the rain! Your plants look lovely and obviously doing well with the cooler temps and rain. Your strawberry plants, too! 8 cups of strawberries for the freezer sounds lovely!

    Your meals for the week sound very good. I'm like Nathalie - I fix one or two main meals and eat them throughout the week.

    Hope you get some sunshine and warmer temperatures, soon.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. By the way, my daughter said it was 59F this morning, where she is!

      Delete
    2. Ha. Well now it doesn't feel so bad. 59 degrees in California at the end of June, is totally unexpected. But you are right. It shouldn't be that cold in Summer. We had a lot more rain yesterday and last night but today is mostly sunny and a lot warmer. I have not had to water anything so far this year, except my hanging planters under the verandah.

      I am very surprised by the number of strawberries I have managed to get so far.

      Delete
  3. Chilly! But those flowers are just beautiful and you've sure been able to get a lot of strawberries. I get a little nostalgic for the northern flowers of my youth when I see your pictures -- they are not (generally) plants that I can grow here but I do just love them.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yes they are a different kind of flower from the exotic ones that grow in much warmer climates. I think because we have such a short growing season and the flowers themselves have a very short lived bloom, we get a big, bold display en masse. I like to see both native perennials and bright annuals in the garden.

    ReplyDelete
  5. We have the same spiderwort but ours aren't flowering except in the early morning because it is too hot so you will know when it warms up because you won't see the beautiful flowers. I like that you ended the post saying you are going to add up your receipt to see how far over budget you are!!! I laughed!! Can't wait to hear how it adds up :) Amazing Strawberry harvest. What do you use frozen strawberries for?? I freeze a lot but not strawberries because I am not sure what you use them for!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Some people freeze their strawberries to make cooked jam later in the year when things aren't quite as busy. I have never made cooked jam before but I would like to try at least once. But in all probability, I will probably bake them in pies or crisps with apples or rhubarb or all on their own.

    I have finally (just today) took a final tally of my grocery spends for June, so I will be reporting soon.

    ReplyDelete