Monday, April 2, 2018

Easter Monday Morning

I got a call from my daughter's two kids this morning. The Easter Bunny had paid a visit to their house overnight (Sunday night) and they were excited to show me what he left. As you may already know, sometimes Santa and the Easter Bunny will make special trips during the year if you ask nicely. Because their dad is a shift worker, they sometimes have to ask for a special favour...either come earlier or later than the actual day so daddy can get some goodies as well. So the Easter Bunny came last night and there must have been lots of treats left over because they got so much. He even played some April Fool's jokes on them. It sounded like a lot of fun.

I had a lot of fun as well. I decided to go to Freshco again to pick up some groceries today. This store must be having some great sales lately on meat and veggies because I have chosen this store now 4 straight times in a row, after checking the flyers. I did not pick up any dairy today.

Protein cost me $37.48
I got a lot of bargains in meat. The boneless pork chops were discounted to $5 because the best before date is Wednesday. The chicken breasts were only $5.38/kg, and bacon was $2.88 a pkg. A carton of 18 eggs was only $2.88  I paid the regular price of $5 for the pkg. of salami slices and $10 for three chubs of lean ground beef.
Produce cost $38.20  The bags of avocados were 4 for $2.49, but I found a bag that had 5 inside.
I bought pantry items this week which cost me $16.82   The large cans of diced tomatoes were 99 cents. I learned from the last shopping trip to pick up the larger cans, use only half and freeze the rest of it. I bought the Keurig pods for my SIL visiting. I use refillable pods myself. I picked up more stevia because I have used a lot of it when eating the frozen berries. This time I only bought the frozen blueberries for the same price. I figure they are a sweeter berry and won't require much sweetening at all. The chicken broth and the Jello with aspartame is for my preparation next week when I am allowed only clear liquids.
Non-food items cost $21.15  The Pedigree was on sale for a dollar less than Walmart sells it. I needed more vinegar for my rinse water in the washer. I am looking forward to start hanging my laundry outside on the line this month.
My total grocery bill with tax came to $116.14   I saved $35.98, mostly meat prices.

5 comments:

  1. You got some good bargains, there, especially on the protein, I think. Assuming each chub of ground beef was 1 lb., that's just $3.33 per lb. Ground beef is selling for almost $5/lb. over here! Boneless pork chops are on sale for $1.99/lb. at the regular supermarket, $2.99/lb. at the discount grocery store, and $1.69/lb. at the ethnic store (but doesn't specify boneless); bacon for $3.00/12 oz package at one store, name brand bacon for $4.99 (12-16 oz.) at another. None of the stores have advertised ground beef.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It is a rarity here that ground beef goes on sale. A lot of grocery stores are selling a pork/beef mix, because ground beef has suddenly become too expensive to buy. A lot of my friends will not buy the chubs of ground meat because they "like to see what they are buying". I agree that you cannot handle this stuff to form meatballs, but when cooked and used in a casserole, it is just fine in my opinion. Sometimes, it will go on sale for just under $3 a pound, and I will buy it JUST so I can make meatballs. I usually buy my meat if it is under $3 a pound, so that means I only buy the meat that is on sale that week. That is pork and chicken, usually.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Just had to share - the weekly grocery ads came out today and the Armenian ethnic store is having ground beef for $1.99/lb! It's probably the 30% fat kind, not the lean/extra lean, but that's OK - I'll just drain the excess fat off!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ha. The universe must have tuned into our comments on the lack of ground meat sales. I wonder if it will help affect the prices on eggs and milk?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Eggs were advertised at $1.79/doz. this week, limit 6 cartons. I will buy a carton. I generally eat 1-2 eggs a week, so the dozen will last me for at least 6 weeks; 4 if I decide to bake a cake! Milk is generally $2.65/gal. and $1.99/half gallon; I have to buy half-gallon because the 1 gallon spoils before I can drink it. I use it only to add to my coffee and if I have cereal, on occasion.

    ReplyDelete