Sunday, April 8, 2018

Emotional Weekend

I aptly named my last post End of the Week, Almost.  That was a bit of fore shadowing. Friday turned out to be a very long day. The day started with paying my accountant for doing up my tax forms, mine and my husband's estate. I owed the CRA $300....not bad at all considering that I had not requested any funds to be with held. Someone was coming at 1 o'clock to take the solid wood dining room table and four chairs; so while I waited, I took all the nails out of the ceiling planks that had come down and stacked all the planks in the small closet under the stairs. It has been a job on my To-Do list for a couple of months now, so I was glad to get it done and out of sight. I know now that I gave my table and chairs away. I only asked $30 for the set (with two leaves) and there were 9 people on the list who really wanted this table if the first people didn't show. When they did show up, they brought a small truck and no tools with them. It was also snowing. So I lay on the floor and took out the eight bolts and helped them carry all the heavy pieces outside.
 They hadn't left yet when someone came for the tread-master..... driving a hatchback. Yes the tread master is a space saver (folds up when not in use), but there is no way it was going into that little trunk. She wanted to try so we carried it out...... and then carried it back in. So, no sale.

So now I needed a table for me to use here, and at the new place. I had one in my craft room that I needed to clear off and bring through into the dining room; but lo and behold, there was no way it was going to come in through the doorway. How did we get it in the craft room? We must have brought it in through the patio door. But remember, I don't have a deck anymore. I had to open the patio door and walk out another door to the outside and step down into the embankment and pull the table out through the door with it held over my head. It was still snowing. What a picture! Once it was in place in my dining room, I got out the carpenter's glue and found six one-inch wood screws to re-attach one of the drop leaves that had come off. More crawling around on the floor under a table.
It looks very small in the space compared to the huge table that was there before, but with a tablecloth on it, it looks lovely and will work for my purposes.

It had been quite a while since I last checked my emails, so decided to do that before I fed Satchel and took him outside and make my own supper. Someone wanted the antique desk with typewriter, so we made arrangements for him to come at 7 o'clock. I grabbed my tools again and proceeded to crawl on the floor under the desk to remove the typewriter. There is NO WAY you can lift that heavy desk with the drawers and typewriter in it.


This is a very unique piece of furniture. By pulling the handle straight up, the hide-away typewriter comes up for use. Fold the typewriter down, and it becomes a writing desk. I only asked $50 for this antique. I have enjoyed these pieces and now it is time to let go....the sooner, the better. The young man who bought it is very happy with it. 
I started to eat my supper when someone else came to the door to pay for three pieces she bought. She took the side table and night stand with her but has to come back later this week to pick up the dresser.
 This table is also antique. It once held an old radio inside. The veneer is peeling off the top, so I only asked for $20. The lady is very happy with it and plans to remove the rest of the veneer and paint it.
She also bought and removed this bedside table for $10 and paid $20 for the dresser below.


 I had started to eat my supper, but now it was cold. I was texting my sister-in-law with the good news of all the items I had sold in only two days (making a total of $235), when I was alerted to a strange noise at the bottom of the stairs. I ran towards the commotion to find my beloved dog Satchel in seizure. I don't know how I managed it, but I was able to slip a blanket in underneath him (he weighs 80 pounds). I was trying to make him more comfortable. Then suddenly he was dead. I am thinking he had a heart attack, but I'm not sure. I know it is a blessing, but I can't believe he is gone. I called my son's place. He was working the night shift, so his fiancee came over and between the two of us we were able to use the blanket as a sling to carry him out to my van. She stayed with me until I regained my composure and went to bed. The next morning I drove to Napanee to take him to the vet. I was going to go Saturday morning anyway to pick up his two prescriptions. Now I was paying for his cremation costs instead. The last two days I have just been trying to do up laundry. I keep "hearing" him and I go to call his name when I remember he isn't there. I am missing him terribly. There is just so much change going on in my life right now. I am hoping things will get easier with time.


3 comments:

  1. (((HUGS))) You were a good owner to Satchel and he lived a happy life being pampered by you, Susan. I hope you're OK. Congrats on all the decluttering and sales.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you Nathalie. I have been saying for over a year now that I didn't think Satchel had much time left. He was very old. His muzzle and ears had turned white and he was crippled up with arthritis and taking pain medication every day, but it was still very difficult losing him. On some level, it was a reminder of losing my husband of 47 years. Those two were real buddies and I don't think the dog ever got over Rick's absence. Now I am feeling completely alone and I have been very weepy all weekend. Today I am preparing for my colonoscopy tomorrow. I think that I will still try and make that trip to Elliot Lake later in the week.

    ReplyDelete
  3. (((HUGS))) Susan! What an emotional weekend you've had! I am so sorry your Satchel passed away, but, as you said, he was old and in pain. Although it is hard on you with him gone, he is no longer in pain.

    You definitely priced those items of furniture for a quick sale and you accomplished that goal. I would have handed the tools to whoever bought them and tell them to take the things apart! Especially if they were younger than me! And I probably would have waited until I had someone to help me to bring the smaller table into the dining room! I'd have managed with a small side table or something, until then! The days of moving big pieces of furniture by myself are all in the past!

    I hope you have a good day today and the preparations for your colonoscopy proceed well. Take care, Susan, and know that I will be thinking of you. (((HUGS)))

    ReplyDelete