Friday, August 18, 2017

Friday Recap

I did get out Tuesday like I planned and pruned back the rose bush into oblivion. It may look drastic, but mark my words; it will be just as big and full next summer as it was this summer. I did not trim the lawn and it desperately needs another mowing. But I did start on pulling weeds from another bed in the front yard and also cut back the perennials that are finished blooming for the year. It will take another full morning to finish the job. Next week I may be able to clear the driveway again and the flower bed at the end of the drive.
About one third the size it was.
Here is a picture of the mess behind my back door now that the deck has been removed. I need to order in some gravel so I can lay down a good layer to cover this mud hole.

The wooden deck ran across the back of the house and along the length of the addition, about 20 feet by 24 feet. This is on the north side of the house and  was shaded most of the day, especially when we also had a six foot high fence for privacy on the deck on the right hand side.
The problem I ran into was this steep embankment down the side of the back room addition. The deck used to cover this area and there were steps down to the sunken patio. Before I can lay down gravel, I have to come up with an idea to keep the gravel from spilling out onto the lower patio, and keep that area at the bottom of the foundation clear as it is the only access to the crawlspace under the addition. It is built on bedrock.  This morning in the hot sun and humidity, I was shoveling wet clay to figure out how I was going to accomplish this myself on a small budget. I don't want to rebuild a deck or lay a patio until next Spring after I have considered my options. I lay down those four cinder blocks at the end of my flower garden so the rain doesn't take any more of my garden soil away. Notice all those weeds that need pulling. I uncovered some railway ties that I can probably add more 6x6 railway ties to by nailing spikes or reinforcement rods through. When I checked at Home Depot yesterday, they had the ties but they will not cut them. So I will have to make those walls 8 feet long or find someone who can cut them for me with a chain saw. Anyways, I am still considering temporary solutions.



Update: My friend just suggested that because I already have some flat pieces of limestone that I need to move from around my pond liner, I should lay the stones on the slopes leading down to the sunken patio and grow some ground cover between the rocks. Great idea. These photos do not show just how steep the incline is, but I am sure this will work once I rake the ground out a little more evenly. Then I will put together a kind of frame made with two by sixes on the top of the incline to hold about 5 inches of gravel. I am starting to see a solution to this problem.


I might have gone out to pull some weeds on Wednesday and Thursday but my hamstring muscles hurt so much on Wednesday, I figured I could stay inside and get some of my cards made ready for the mail. I also had four bags of garbage to take to the curb (filled with yard waste) and the Blue Box for recycling. I didn't go out Tuesday for the hamburger that was on a great sale and Tuesday was the last day for that sale. I just felt too tired; but Wednesday I had to go out for eggs, so I went to Shopper's Drug Mart and spent over $50 on items that were on sale. I also had some things in my cart that I reconsidered and put back on the shelf,  like some toiletries and paper towels. I can do without for a little while longer and they are often on sale.

Yesterday I drove into my doctor's office to pick up a requisition for blood work, then drove to LifeLabs to get it done. On my way into town, I stopped at an appliance repair shop and ordered a gasket for my dishwasher. I need to do this, as my dishes are being covered by small black spots of rubber that is disintegrating from the seal around the door. This will cost $80, but I hope to replace the gasket myself. On the way back from town I stopped at Home Depot to price their cinder blocks, railway ties, and just had a look around to see if I could come up with a couple of solutions for maintenance problems that need addressing. I took a gift card for $50 with me, but I walked out with nothing. I needed to think about it a while longer. I then drove to my small engine repair man's business. My roto tiller, pressure washer and riding lawn mower are done, but it cost me $478 ...gulp. I am bleeding money here folks. This week I have really been missing Rick. He was so handy to do things on his own, and saved a pile of money. The two of us would talk and bounce  ideas off each other and  then share the work together.  Of course, not every month will be like this, and I have made it through a difficult week and lived to tell the tale.

On the bright side, my daughter has offered to look after my dog at her house for the three weeks I am gone out West in the Fall.  It would have cost another mortgage payment to pay boarding charges for Satchel. So now I won't have to worry about that problem. It just seemed to be a tough week for me, but that's life. I usually experience the blues once company leaves. The house was so alive, and now it is just very quiet again. I am very fortunate to have family and friends that think to call me and listen to me moan and make helpful suggestions. I appreciate all of them. I am going to get ready now to go to my son's birthday party. I really don't know why he wants me there with all of his young friends, but I will go and wish him a happy birthday, eat some good food and take an early leave. Hope your weekend is restful and relaxing.

4 comments:

  1. (((HUGS))) Susan. It's hard to do all these things by yourself, but perhaps once you've decided what you want done in the area where the deck was taken down, one of your sons can help you? As for the expenses, well, sometimes they seem to come all at once, don't they? Sorry about that, too. Hope you have a lovely weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It is so important to try each month to put aside some money for that "rainy day", or for that matter, for a "rainy month". Yes everything does tend to happen all at once, doesn't it. But in this case, I had already put off the repairs on the dishwasher, the muffler and the yard machines. I decided to bite the bullet and just get them done before they got any worse. I considered buying the twin beds for absolutely months; and in the end,I bought them practically brand-new from Kijiji. Horrors! They were only one month old and still were wrapped in plastic, so I took a chance. I'm so glad I did. They are perfect for my needs. I don't regret any of the money spent. I am just so happy that I had it to spend. Now it is time to save and replenish that account.

    My older son has gone back to Vancouver. My second son is left to do all the work. Yes he will certainly help me on weekends, but if I could do most of the leg work and preparation, he can help me wheel all the gravel into place. I HATE to impose on him too much. He needs his down time on the weekends as well.

    Thank you for hugs. I needed them this week. Hope you have a restful weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Susan, what a lot of work this deck demolition has generated, eh? I'm wondering if the railroad ties could even be cut with a chainsaw. They're probably pressure treated. I don't know anything about such things, but I would assume that the wood is going to be dense and hard to cut through, maybe why the store wouldn't cut them for you? It seems like you're definitely going to have to prevent that ground from being eroded by the rain/melting snow. Perhaps you could plant some ground cover all over it? If you want to put gravel or stones on it to make a new patio, you'd still have to build a retaining wall, especially if you want to keep that crawlspace access uncovered. I like your friend's suggestion about the stones and ground cover to cover the slope.

    How wonderful that your daughter will be watching Satchel during your trip. I'm sure it's a relief.

    Well done, you, ordering a gasket for your dishwasher and planning on installing it yourself! And (((HUGS))). I can only imagine how hard it is to go it alone now and be reminded of how much easier (and cheaper) it was when you could have your husband take care of repairs and home improvements for you. I'm always looking at what Greg does to the house with a skeptical look, but I'm thankful that at least he does what he does, even though the result is very much amateurish a lot of the time. But even though I give myself credit for fixing a few things, I'd be totally despondent if I'd have to worry about leaks in the house, having to crawl under the house to reattach the AC duct that keeps on falling off, and other such problems. You're doing well, though. Do what you can and ask for help for what you can't (or shouldn't! Don't hurt yourself shoveling wet clay!). You have many friends who are willing to help, please take them up on it. The worst they can say is "no". Or perhaps you can find a handyman who is reliable and won't charge you too much, to come help with some projects? My dad did this through some agency back in France that helps place people with some cognitive disabilities.

    And your son wanted you at his birthday party because you're his mom and he loves you! I hope you had a nice time :) Happy birthday to him!

    Have a lovely weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have a really difficult time asking for help. I'm not sure why, but I have always been this way. I think I need to get over it fast. If I can do most of the work myself, I will.

    ReplyDelete