Sunday, August 13, 2017

3 Weeks Later

I mentioned in my last post, my Daybook Monday, that you probably wouldn't hear from me for a while. And I was right. The first week was spent cleaning and organizing and cooking ahead. The last two weeks I have been enjoying my company. They actually left yesterday morning for Bradford (north of Toronto), but I took a day off. I did not clean. I did not cook. Instead I played with a new stamp set that I received in the mail during my company's stay. I have a few thank you cards to make up. It feels like a whole lifetime has happened since I last posted. I dipped into savings this month to buy two single beds for one of my spare rooms, a new muffler on my van, two new electric fans and extra food. My riding lawn mower, pressure washer and roto tiller are at the small engines mechanic, but I don't know the damage yet. I will be working hard to replenish my accounts ASAP.
I decided one of my spare rooms should have single beds instead of having all queen-sized beds. This room that we had finished for my son and his fiancee, is big enough for two beds.
I feel so fortunate to have made up a few freezer meals in advance. Our days were so-o-o-o incredibly  busy, it was wonderful to be able to reheat things in the oven. The young cousins got along famously (5, 6 and 8 years of age) and pretty much entertained themselves. My son, myself  and 14 year old grand daughter took the kids swimming two days and to the combined playground/water park twice. Grandma has a sandbox in the backyard, which they played in, and she has a toybox in the cupboard. There are lots of craft supplies and her TV has Net Flix, so amusing them was no trouble at all. My son took the older grand daughter shopping and to the Go-Cart track. She also had Net Flix, her lap top and her cell phone. My son and his GF had us all over one evening for supper, and we spent a lovely day in Smith Falls at my brother's house for a swim in their pool and a barbeque supper. My Dad and 'Dee' came down from Northern Ontario to surprise my son. It was a great visit.

While in Smith Falls, my son and his GF announced their engagement. I have known for quite some time, but they didn't have a date until just this past week. So now I will have to refer to my son and his fiancee. It will be a small intimate wedding in the old primitive forests of Northern California (Sonoma County) next July 20th. They are NOT expecting anyone to attend except their parents and witnesses, but some of my family is planning to go as part of their holiday excursion next summer.

So now the house is strangely quiet once again. The yard is beckoning me outside. While he was here, my son organized a work party to tear down the deck on the back of the house. He no longer thought it was safe for me, and he was right. Many of the old joists were rotted through. So now I will bring in a load of 3/4 inch gravel to lay down temporarily over the winter. I will decide whether I want to replace the deck or go with a patio of stone or concrete in the Spring. The weeds have completely taken over my garden beds, and I do want to remove them and lay down mulch over August and into September. I also have to start working on my Advent calendars and gift making for Christmas. At the end of September, I will be making a cross-country railway trip with my Dad and 'Dee' to Vancouver. They are renting a time-share on Vancouver Island. I will be staying with my son and my DIL in Burnaby. My oldest grand daughter is graduating from University with her Bachelor of Arts degree though she is currently enrolled in her Bachelor of Education program. Then we will all spend the Thanksgiving weekend with my Dad on Vancouver Island. I would dearly love to be able to come back here afterwards and not have to worry about doing any more yard work this season. 

Despite the weeds, my late summer perennials are still blooming.
Echinacea or pink cone flowers

Pink phlox

Black eyed Susans or Rudbeckia

4 comments:

  1. Susan, it is lovely to read your post - sounds like you've had a wonderful time and now, you get to look forward to your son's wedding! Your garden flowers are lovely! Hope all is well with you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I spent a couple of hours this morning before going outside to do some weeding, reading your blog posts from the past three weeks. My days were so full, I didn't have time even to read my emails. Some nights I went to bed at 9 PM, just after getting the kids off to sleep. It was fun, but exhausting.

      Of course I was thinking about you, so it was with relief and gladness that I read about your doctor's results. But my oh my, what a time you have had. I am hoping the rest of your summer quiets down some. You have so much going on....and you work as well.

      Delete
  2. It sounds like you all had a wonderful time! How lovely that you were so involved with your grandchildren and that cousins got to spend time together. I love the twin beds, you can push them together to make a larger bed if needed too.

    You had a lot of expenses and I hope you're able to replenish your savings promptly. I feel relieved for you that your unstable deck was taken down. One fewer thing to have to worry about!

    Congratulations to your son and fiancée on their engagement and on your granddaughter's graduation! That's a lot of excitement and celebrations for you to attend as well!

    The flower pictures are gorgeous, as usual!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes, that is why I opted for two twin beds. It is what they do on cruise ships. You can ask for two beds in a cabin or one bed for a couple. They simply move the beds together. I think they must put a king-sized pillow top over the two mattresses.

    There were times this month when I felt I was hemorrhaging money, but it is all good. I don't think I was rash, and I know I will use these things well. I need to keep my car in good running order, and the muffler was just getting louder and louder. It was embarrassing. I still need to pay for repairs to my riding lawn mower, roto tiller, and pressure washer. The work isn't finished, so I don't know the extent of the repairs yet. I okayed the purchase of a special order of a coil for the riding mower. I will have to be very cautious of my spending habits and salt away as much as possible.

    ReplyDelete