Saturday, August 26, 2017

Saturday Summary

I stripped my bed this morning after awakening and washed two more loads of laundry. The sheets and quilt went into the dryer, but everything else was hung out on the line to dry. The bed is now made and all the laundry from the past two days has been folded or hung up.

I spent the majority of today outside pruning back and/or pulling out all the Globe Thistle from the front garden space. There will still be some growing next summer because some I was unable to pull out the roots and because there will be seed in the ground. However I was able to lay down mulch and make sure all the weeds were pulled. Slowly but surely, my flower beds are being prepared for the Fall.

The only things left blooming in this bed are the Autumn Joy in the foreground, my pot of red and white portulaca, sea lavender (or statice) pink coneflower, and pink potentilla.

Where I removed the Globe Thistle up against the front of the house, I have tried to transplant some Blue Flax and hope that some of it will take root.
While I was busying myself with this, I noticed a really pretty butterfly enjoying the red verbena of one of my planters. I have no idea what kind of butterfly it is, but it was rather large.
Are you noticing how long the grass has grown in the last couple of days? It needs to be cut again already. Sheesh!

5 comments:

  1. Your flower beds are gorgeous. You did a ton of work, I can't believe you had the energy to do all this after moving all those heavy rocks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We have been enjoying lovely sunny days this past week, so I needed to take advantage of the weather to get some outside work done. I took it a bit easier yesterday by cutting the front and back lawns again.

      Delete
    2. What you're calling "taking it easy" makes me laugh. For me, taking it easy is taking a long nap, eating a pint of ice cream, watching some TV (which is how I spent most of my Sunday, btw). You're always marveling at how much **I** did, but goodness, I can't fathom how you even accomplished what you've done in a short few days! Those tasks would have probably remained on my To Do List for MONTHS and then quietly fallen off it, lol. I'm seriously in awe of you. I hope you're not sore.

      Delete
  2. You did a lot of work in the garden! I'm so glad the weather is letting to get it all done. Will you be planting some different plants in the fall?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm afraid new plants are a want, not a need. I cannot be spending money right now on new plants. However, I may divide and transplant what I have into new areas. And I am always a gracious recipient of gifted perennials, should they come my way. Ha.

    ReplyDelete