Friday, August 25, 2017

Another No-Spend, No-Drive Day

I stayed home today and worked outside some more. I didn't spend any money as a result. I washed up two loads of laundry in cold water and hung out to dry. I used up 7 bags of cedar mulch from my stash out beside the veggie garden and "wheel-barrowed" it up to the front yard where I spread it over two and a half of my flower beds. The perennials and shrubs  in those beds have been pruned back for winter.

I ripped out most of my Snow-in-Summer overhanging the rock border. I lay down my vinegar and salt water solution over the gravel to help prevent them from growing back too quickly and overtaking the sidewalk again. I also lay down some new mulch here to contain the plants. Next, I will take out most of the Globe Thistle that is growing in the background up against the house. Then I will lay down mulch over that entire area. The gardens look so much nicer with a thick layer of cedar mulch, and I still have 12  more bags of the stuff. 
My planters filled out quite nicely with my red and white flowers this year.

My glasses fell apart late this afternoon. Wouldn't you know it is a Friday and I will have to make do until I can go to my eye doctor on Monday. The new prescription I received at my last eye appointment is on file for 6 months, so I should just be able to pick out new frames. In the meantime, I have glued my lens back in the frame, but I am still missing an arm. I cannot attach it.

I called a local aggregate company to find a price on a delivery of gravel. Over the phone, he estimated the cost around $160  to fill the area behind the house. They will need to dump it in the driveway because they cannot drive into the back, and I will "wheel" it back where it needs to go. Free exercise. I think he has overestimated the amount, so I am sure I will have lots to fill up some other areas I am considering, like the hole that will be left when I remove the pond liner in my back yard.  I can always rake any surplus over the rest of the driveway, as it is bare in places. So on Monday morning, as I drive in to my eye doctor's office, I will stop into the Aggregate company, pay for the gravel, and set up a time for delivery. Further down the highway, I will stop at the appliance store to pick up my dishwasher gasket and pay for that.

So although I technically didn't go out today and spend money, I know that my Monday morning will be a humdinger when it comes to forking over the cash. In the meantime, I will enjoy my weekend. And I hope you all do to.

2 comments:

  1. Your garden is looking lovely. I need to get some mulch, myself. I need to do something with the front garden, but I don't know what! Everything is so dry and dead!

    I'm sorry to hear about your glasses. I hope you will be able to manage until you can get new glasses. Hope you have a lovely weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  2. While I work outside, I leave my glasses off. I feel "naked" without them, but they won't stay on my face anyway. Inside is a different story. I need them for working on the computer, watching television, making cards and cooking.

    Just laying down mulch makes a big difference in how a garden looks, especially when there isn't much there to begin with. I have seen whole gardens done with just a couple of trees or shrubs and a fresh layer of mulch, whether bark, stone, or cocoa beans.

    ReplyDelete