Thursday, August 24, 2017

I've Earned My Keep This Week

It isn't yet Friday, but I already feel as though I have earned my keep. I got my front lawn finally trimmed and so for a few days I will be able to look out at my front lawn and not feel defeated. Ha. I finished taking all the weeds out of the second bed, and yesterday I took out bushel loads of "Snow-in-Summer" from the front flower bed. If I don't pull it back at the end of each summer, it will eventually take over the whole bed. I never got to it last summer, so I had to pull it out from between my irises and from the front of the bed where it was sprawling out across the sidewalk. It had already choked out my pink aubretia deltoids. They were nowhere to be found this past Spring. I pruned back hard another shrub (my pink Spirea). When I lay down mulch (hopefully tomorrow), I will take a photo. I was going to lay down mulch yesterday after lunch but suddenly realized at 1:35 that I had a doctor's appointment for 2 o'clock. I didn't have time to wash up or eat.  I just took off the really muddy working clothes I had on and put on clean ones over the dirt. I was only 8 minutes late. All the traffic lights were working in my favour. Phew.

After returning from town, I fried up some ground meat and made up four cabbage casseroles from the cooked cabbage made the day before (2 Italian and 2 Asian) I had one of them last night for dinner and lunch today. The other three are freezer meals. Tonight I will cook some tilapia with broccoli and mushrooms in a mustard cream sauce. Breakfast is nearly always an omelet. Once in a long while, I will have oatmeal, which I am allowed sparingly.
Omelet with zucchini, mushrooms and cheese.
 This morning I went out to the back yard and moved several hundreds of pounds of rock from around my pond in the centre of the yard to the top of my "mud hole" that used to be a deck. The largest, heaviest rocks are at the bottom of the incline, with the rest of the rocks fitting in like a jig saw puzzle towards the top. I will rake the gravel (when I order it) so that it fills in some of the gaps between the thinner, smaller pieces at the top of the gradient. I won't plant any ground cover until after  the stones settle in somewhat...perhaps the Spring. I am so exhausted after doing that work, but once I started, I didn't want to stop. The clay was wet again after a torrential rain yesterday, and I was caked in mud. I wanted the job DONE. So now I have showered and changed, and I want a nap on the couch. Don't ask me to do another thing today please.
Now I just have to rake and clean up the garbage before ordering in some gravel.



6 comments:

  1. You are amazing. Today I stuffed my face, worked on the computer, and devoured all 7 episodes of "Little Big Lies" on HBONow. And then I discovered that the cats have fleas. Ugh. After corralling them to comb the fleas off them, applying treatment, vacuuming almost the whole house, washing everything (still going on), I'm pooped. Mind you, not the "I moved hundreds of rocks up a muddy hill" fatigue, though. You are amazing. Did I mention that you are amazing?! It looks great, btw. You're going to need to rest tomorrow. And soak in a hot bath because you're gonna be sore!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Don't tell me what you did was less arduous than moving a ton of rock. I have been there and done that, and I would rather move rock thank you very much. How did your little sweeties get fleas? They don't even go outdoors. Poor little things! Poor Nathalie having to de-flea your house. That's a HUGE job.

    Well, I wasn't too sore this morning. I did go out and move several wheelbarrow loads of mulch. It's not finished yet, but it is getting there.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have no idea how they got fleas but they still have some after everything I did and it's getting on my nerves. I need to treat the house with chemicals but then we can't be in the house for a couple of hours. I was joking with Greg that I should pack up all 6 cats in their crates and drive the 90 minutes to go visit my Daughter to give her a chance to pet the kitties and then drive the 90 minutes home. Surely it would be safe after that... but wait, the intructions also say to ventilate the house before going inside. Well, it's over 100F here so I'm not opening the windows! So I'm not sure what I'm going to do. I guess keep vacuuming every day? I've only done it twice so far and I'm exhausted, lol. The worse is trying to corner Princess to comb her with the flea comb because she hides from me and fights. Ugh.

      I'm glad you weren't sore after your exertions but please be careful and don't do too much!

      Delete
    2. Once the cats are treated, there doesn't seem like much more you can do except to keep vacuuming and spraying and washing the soft furnishings. That's the worse part....keeping up with the house cleaning. Once the cats have their medicine, it seems like you are eradicating the eggs for weeks afterwards. I TOLD you already, I would rather move gravel and rocks.

      Delete
  3. My goodness, Susan! I'd definitely say you've earned your keep! That's a lot of rocks to be carrying around! When you've done your garden, do you suppose you might like to come and help me with mine? :D

    ReplyDelete
  4. You will be waiting a good long time for me to show up. Haha. I have only just finished two garden beds. I have many more that are crying out for help. Next week I think I will be single-handedly carrying a truckload of gravel from my front driveway to my back patio area. Good thing I have been weight lifting rocks in preparation for this feat.

    ReplyDelete