Monday, August 21, 2017

Daybook: Monday, August 21/17

Outside my window.....the sun is shining. We have had a steady stream of traffic go by. I am wondering if the main highway (the 401) was shut down this morning because of an accident?? We are the alternate route or detour route when that happens. My front lawn still needs trimming out, but I did cut the lawn yesterday.

I am thinking.....about the great time I had at my son's on Friday night. I was NOT the first guest to leave, like I thought. The conversation was very interesting and as it turned out, I was the last guest who left except for the two long-time friends who were going to stay over the weekend. My son's fiancee made a pizza with a cauliflower crust just for me, and her. They served regular pizza to the remaining guests, but the cauliflower crust was such a success, the men finished it off that night. It was yummy! Now I have the recipe from here.

I am thankful for.....having some savings from which I could draw money for the added and some unexpected costs this past month.

From the kitchen.....I made a batch of dog treats yesterday. I made a Tex-Mex casserole for my dinner last night, and I made a homemade veggie soup with stock I had in my freezer. This will be lunches this week. I bought two heads of cabbage yesterday that I need to shred and fry to make ahead more dishes for the freezer. I also need to cut up a lot of broccoli into florets to freeze. I peel the tough stems of the broccoli and cut up into coins to add to future homemade soups.

I am wearing.....my usual summer working wardrobe. I have on my blue capris and a printed t-shirt. I plan to do some yard work today.

I am creating.....more cards. I made up some "Thank you" cards that I needed to get in the mail. I also made up three "Thinking of you cards". One is for my mother and one is for my step father. I am attaching notes in them and some printed out photos of their great grandchildren taken while they were here this month. I will send them separate cards because although they are in the same Long-term care facility, they are on separate floors. I have not yet visited them since they arrived to this place. I try to send cards from time to time.

I am going.....outside in the yard today.

I am hoping.....my doctor can reassure me on Tuesday morning that I should continue with this new way of eating. My blood sugar levels are still high. The results of my blood analysis shows I have only gone down by .2 points (negligible) I don't understand it because I have been as true to this diet as I have ever been....no flour, no grains, no sugar AT ALL. It has been 6 weeks. I could definitely carry it on, but I would like some explanations of why I was expecting greater results.

I am hearing.....my window fan beside me, my tinkling chimes, and the occasional sound of heavy trucks passing by.

Around the house.....there is food preparation to do in the kitchen and more yard work outside. I would like to get started on laying some flat stones on the inclines out back where the deck used to be. I want to lay down some mulch on the beds as I clear them of weeds.

One of my favourite things.....is the food processor that "Dee" brought down for me two weekends ago. It makes the job of shredding the cabbage much easier.

A few plans for the rest of the week.....include  doctors' appointments on Tuesday morning and Wednesday afternoon. Dinner out on Tuesday night to celebrate a friend's birthday. I want to get outside as much as possible.

Here's the picture I am sharing.....
The cauliflower pizza I enjoyed on Friday night was topped with mozzarella cheese, peppers, chunks of tomato, zucchini and slices of kielbasa. Mmmm good.



4 comments:

  1. Oh wow, that pizza looks delicious! I was curious to see what "cauliflower crust" would look like. My mom used to make homemade pizza and she'd bake it with fresh tomatoes on it like that but the tomatoes would "melt" and all that was left on the pizza were the skins and then the crust would be cooking in all the tomato juices. Gross. But this looks really delicious. How nice of your son's fiancée to have made this for you (and herself) so you could stay on your diet. And I'm tickled pink that you had such a great time that you were amongst the last people to leave, after you thought that you didn't really want to go... hooray!

    I'm also very happy to hear that your stepdad and mom are finally in the same facility! I hope they have been able to see one another there. Too bad they're not in the same room or even the same floor though :(

    Have a great week, Susan! I hope your doctor can shed some light on your blood sugar levels and why they're not dropping.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That pizza was delicious. It seemed to me to be kind of complicated to make, but my son's fiancee said it was really quite easy. So I will be trying it someday on my own.

      I am very disappointed in the blood sugar results. I guess I will find out more tomorrow.

      Delete
  2. Glad to read that you had a good time at your son's and that his fiancee made the special pizza for you to share. I'm sorry to hear your sugar levels haven't gone down as much as you had expected. It might be that you'll need some medications in addition to the diet change. But hopefully, you will be able to discuss your concerns with the doctor and he or she can explain it to you.

    Hope you have a lovely week.

    ReplyDelete
  3. My doctor was ecstatic about my results. I didn't think for a moment that a .2 decrease meant anything other than I had failed. I was wrong. Stay tuned for today's post.

    ReplyDelete