Thursday, November 3, 2016

Advent Calendars

Because I had such a late start to preparing my Advent Calendars, I decided a couple of weeks ago that I would wrap presents for the four youngest grand kids and give money to my two oldest. They might prefer having a few extra dollars at this time of year. I finished wrapping all the gifts by the end of the day yesterday, which only left  three pockets to put in some treats. So this morning I started by getting those ready. The top photo shows granola bars wrapped in white computer paper that I have printed the features of a snowman. The other day while shopping at the Dollar Tree, I bought two pairs of fuzzy green and red gloves. I snipped off a finger to use as a toque and one of the stripes from the mitten part to act as a scarf. I crimped the bottom of the paper sleeve. We will be making some of these at our Crafting extravaganza on Amherst Island this Saturday.
 I had quite a lot of Hallowe'en candy left over, so I used some of it to make up the following Advent treats below. I made these Lego boxes below with cardstock and foam sheets that I punched circles from. Inside are three bite-sized Aero bars.
 My third and final candy treat are three boxes of Smarties (Canadian version of M & M's) wrapped in Christmas scrap booking paper with the letters J-O-Y glued to the tops. I made long boxes just big enough to hold the three candy boxes in a long row. I already had the cellophane pretzel bags, and it turns out they were just big enough to hold my boxes. It was almost like I had planned it. Ha.

There were no medical appointments scheduled today, so I got busy making dog biscuits this morning. I got a load of dishes put away and another dishwasher load done. I washed a huge load of dark laundry which I will throw into the dryer tonight after 7 o'clock. I made a pot of chicken and vegetable soup with the broth I made in the crock pot over the weekend. I am making Shepherd's Pie with some ground meat I bought this week. I am using mashed potatoes and mixed veggies and gravy left over from Special Meals on Sunday. I also brought home some buttered rolls that nobody has eaten, so I have cut all of them to make bread pudding fordessert tonight. Now I am making a list of presents (homemade and otherwise) that I can put together for my adult children. I call these stocking stuffers, as I believe everyone should have a few surprises to unwrap on Christmas morning. I normally just send money. It is amazing what I can accomplish without having doctors to run to during the day. Have a great evening.

4 comments:

  1. You are such a talented, caring grandmother! I think you were wise to decide to send money to the older grandkids and spare yourself some stress. I had to do a double take on the LEGO boxes as they look like something one would have bought. So realistic! I love that you made the little hats out of the fingers of gloves, that's such a great idea!

    I don't do an Advent calendar but, as you know, we do celebrate St. Nicolas Day on 12/6 because that's part of my Eastern French heritage. By this time most years I've already found Christmas tree ornaments for the kids (each St Nicolas I give them an ornament that symbolizes something important that happened in their lives that past year and when they have their own place, they'll take their ornaments with them). Yesterday I realized with horror that St Nicolas is only a month away and I've got nothing. Not only that, but I really don't have any clue as what to give them. Truth is, I've completely lost my mojo to celebrate holidays. I need to text my oldest son to ask for his new mailing address. If he gives it to me, I'll mail him his Christmas ornaments as he now has his own place with his girlfriend.

    I hope you have a great time at your Crafting Extravaganza!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are absolutely right about losing one's Mojo for the holidays, especially when it falls on you as the only one who does it. I can relate. Having young kids around certainly helps with all of that. I love to see the expression of wonder and excitement on their faces. Or at least, I can imagine it; because I won't be able to see my grand kids open their Advent gifts. My kids report their excitement.
      Same with Hallowe'en.....I was too stressed to think about it. But when the kids were at the door, I suddenly wished I had done more. I will decorate for Christmas because my son and his GF live here, because my Sweetie enjoys it, and because I always have Christmas Eve dinner at my house for friends of ours. I have adjusted my outdoor decorating to doing less as I get older and I am the only one who does it.
      Yes St. Nicholas Day is coming fast, but now that you are aware, I am sure it will fall together for you. The stores and catalogues are filling up quickly with Christmas merchandise to entice you. Ha.

      Delete
  2. Those snowmen granola bars are too cute for words! You've put a lot of thought and work into these Advent gifts!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Last year I came up with the bright idea of buying supplies ahead of time to make my packaging up early for this year. I bought two packages of Christmas card stock and red tape (extra strong) to print out and put together packaging that I always use for those oddly shaped gifts that are hard to wrap. So the good part was that I had all of my supplies at the ready, but I didn't actually make them until I needed them.
      I get a lot of ideas from Pinterest, like most people. There is a wealth of free printable templates out there for people like me to find and use. I am amazed by people's generosity.

      Delete