Monday, October 31, 2016

First shop for November

Dairy cost me $14.73  There is one tub of margarine missing from this photo


Produce/Juice cost $6.09      
 


 Celery was 88 cents a bunch, so I bought two. Last winter celery was up to $5 a pkg. Cauliflower was $1.88 and sweet potatoes were 88 cents a pound.

Proteins cost $13.76

I paid $38.97 for three boxes of Hallowe'en treats. I give out two chocolates each. If there are any left over at the end of the night, I will use these in the Advent calendars. I only use three pockets for candy treats.

Crackers were $1.88 a box. I bought  seven boxes for $13.16  

 I will use some of these in Christmas gift baskets with some different samples of local cheese from the local Wilton Cheese Factory. Who doesn't like crackers with artisan cheese? I love consumable gifts.
Pantry items cost $11.46

Toilet paper for the downstairs bathroom cost me $3.99
 And 3 loaves of whole wheat bread, not shown, was $8.97 My total grocery bill, with Hallowe'en candy, and taxes was$121.52 My shopping did not go well for me today.
  1. I should only have been charged $1.88 per loaf of bread, instead of $2.99 each
  2. I packed my groceries into two boxes. As I was lifting one from the cart to the van, the bottom fell out of one and everything fell on the paved parking lot. A jar of tomato sauce smashed and some eggs were broken in one of the cartons. I scooped up the mess of groceries that were dripping in red sauce and threw them into the van. It was the first time I had to wash all my groceries before I could put them away.
  3. I am missing one tub of margarine. If it is not still in the van, then it rolled underneath one of the cars in the parking lot. 
I cooked two eggs that were completely smashed and made a fried egg sandwich for lunch. I boiled three that were only cracked and made some egg salad for sandwiches. I washed and transferred the rest of the eggs into another egg carton. So I was able to save all the eggs.

My Sweetie mailed off a birthday card that I made for my Step-dad, and came back with my Freebies from SampleSource. 
Dove samples with shampoo, conditioner and hair treatment, a V8 energy drink, two Tetley tea bags, Motrin tablets, Emergen C, Persil liquid laundry detergent, Dog foo, two different cereal bars, and high value coupons not pictured. One was for a free 12 pack of Astro yoghurt.

7 comments:

  1. One of those days, huh? Good for you for saving all the eggs! That was some quick thinking. Sorry about the lost margarine. Hopefully you'll find it in your vehicle and before it melts all over.

    $5 for celery! I think I remember you telling us this. That was insane! I wonder why it was so much more expensive last year. It's not like there was a celery flu going around where farmers had to throw away all their celery crops or anything. Weird.

    Can you go back to the store with your receipt and ask them to correct the bread price? Is the store far away?

    Kudos on all the samples from SampleSource! I should also be getting quite a few from them (9, I think) but I won't get the 12-pack of yogurt, that must have been a Canada-only offer. I wish... Greg loves snacking on yogurt.

    You were able to get food products for 2 holidays in your weekly shopping, that's great! I agree that cheese and crackers would be lovely to receive. Greg's parents sent us some food baskets a few years but, between us, I think they wasted their money because the quality of the items that the company put in the baskets was never very good. A lot of it were cheeses that were plastic-wrapped and never had much flavor when we opened them. I wish I could get a cheese basket from France, though :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think Bless can better answer the question of why the celery cost so much last winter. We had to import it from California, and after five years of drought, well.....

      I haven't checked the back of the car yet; but in fifteen minutes, we will be leaving for the appointment at the Heart Failure Clinic.

      We only give our cheese baskets to friends who we can deliver to ourselves, as it is fresh cheese. It seems to be well received. I use a couple of boxes as the base, with 2 or 3 chunks of different cheeses on top, and I wrap everything in cellophane (like a gift basket)

      I got quite a few samples from Sample Source this time. I don't always get a lot, but this was a nice assortment to try.

      Delete
  2. Sorry you were charged more for the bread and then had that mishap with the box of groceries! How frustrating! But you did well to save the eggs! Hope you are able to locate the missing tub of margarine.

    Yes, I suppose with the drought and costs of transportation taken into account, the price of some fresh produce can go sky high. I just don't buy certain items when the price goes up, but that's just me.

    That's a great idea to give a gift basket of crackers with a selection of local cheese! I like consumable gifts, too. Nothing to add to the clutter!

    Hope your husband's appointment goes well and the results are all good.

    Have a good rest of the week.



    ReplyDelete
  3. Well, I gave the van a thorough inspection this afternoon. I am afraid that tub of margarine is somewhere in the Food Basic's parking lot. We haven't been back to contest the bread charges as we just got home from the appointment and some shopping at the Dollar Tree. My goal for this week is to finish the Advent calendars.

    The Heart Failure Clinic have set up another echo for December, so that the kidney can heal and the water can come off. Good news. His lungs are now clear of fluid, and his feet, ankles and legs are not as swollen. They will not need to see him until after the echo is done.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Bad news about the margarine but good news about your husband's lungs and legs. I'll bet you'd rather have that than the opposite :)

      Delete
  4. Hi Susan, I've been catching up on your blog -- what a lot you have gone through the last couple of weeks. I hope that things have mostly settled down and stay calm through the holiday season.

    Love the idea of the cheese and crackers baskets. I've been trying to move more and more towards either consumable or useful gifts; as I get older I'm really aware that there is only just so much stuff you really need to have around the house.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, my Sweetie and I have had a lot on our plates this past while. Things are not settled down yet with appointments and such. We have had three this week and a few more next week, and then we will have more info to go on.

      I am always on the lookout for consumable gift ideas for the adults on the gift list. I tend to do a lot of "gag" gifts, food items, or toiletries wrapped in a stocking or such. Gift cards or money gifts are always a great idea.

      Delete