Monday, April 17, 2017

Daybook: Easter Monday, April 17/17

Outside my window.....it is mainly cloudy with a few sunny breaks. It is cooler today than it has been this weekend. The grass is really taking off, the trees are budding and the daffodils are just starting to open up.

I am thinking.....that I need to start working outdoors soon to pull some weeds and dead underbrush from the garden. I have started to prune back some of my bushes before the leaves start coming out.

I am thankful for.....the trustee who phoned me this morning to discuss my responsibilities of being an executor of my husband's estate. He was able to answer my questions and advise me. Although he stressed the fact that he is not a lawyer, he was able to explain a lot of legalities I was not aware of. He has lifted a lot of uncertainty from my shoulders and I feel much better for having talked to him.

From the kitchen.....I baked chocolate chip cookies this week. As well, I baked a lasagna for Saturday supper with my son and his GF and I made a crock pot of vegetable broth from vegetable peelings from the freezer.

I am wearing.....the same thing I wore yesterday....blue jeans and a cotton royal blue Egyptian top with embroidery done with gold thread.

I am creating.....birthday cards for my stash, when the mood strikes me.

I am going.....nowhere outside the house today.

I am hoping.....I will find some motivation this week to tackle some housework or yard work.

I am hearing.....some traffic noise outside my window, and the blower on the furnace coming on every so often. It still isn't warm enough to turn off the furnace just yet. I usually try to keep it off the first of May.

Around the house.....there is still purging and organizing to get done, but I am going to try and do that on my own. I also want to start washing surfaces and doing a deep Spring cleaning.

One of my favourite things.....lately has been the warmer, sunnier days of Spring we have been having. It helps to lift my mood, and draws me out of the house.

A few plans for the rest of the week.....include only one scheduled appointment and the rest of the time is my own. I haven't made any plans.

Here's the picture I am sharing.....first daffodils.


6 comments:

  1. Sounds like you've a lot planned for the coming week, Susan, with spring cleaning, yard work, decluttering, and so forth. Glad you had your questions answered by the trustee. Your daffodils are so pretty; such a lovely deep yellow! I hope you have a good day, today, and a wonderful start to your week. Have I mentioned that I am so happy to see you posting, again? Take care of yourself. (((HUGS)))

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I really did have no plans for the week. I awoke each day and just did what my mood dictated for me. It was kind of fun having nowhere to go except for the doctor's office, and absolutely nothing that needed to be done. But I must say, not really a lot was accomplished. It is now Thursday and I am only now just responding to your comment. I am happy to report though that I did get outside to do a little gardening. Gardening is great therapy.

      Delete
  2. Ditto to everything Bless said. I must be such a relief to have some answers to the questions that you were stressing yourself about.

    Working in the yard will do wonders, it's so nice to be outside and I know you enjoy gardening. I do need to pull more weeds too and prune the bushes and do a million other things and it's already getting hot during the days. I should get the ladder out and cut out the dead branches off the orange tree too because it is a tad unsightly. All those things keep popping up in my head but as far as the impetus to actually do them... that's another story! I hope you have sunny days on tap this week, Susan :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am wearing blue jeans with very muddy knees. It is still very wet and chilly outside, but I did get outside this week to work. I also planted some dahlia bulbs and zinnia seeds to start indoors. I'm looking forward to mid-May, when it will be warm enough to plant flowers. Until then, I will slowly work a bit at a time to start building up my stamina and endurance. Ha.

      Delete
  3. Hi Susan! I've been catching up on your blog -- so glad to see you posting again. I'm glad the trustee helped explain the executor role and that you feel on firming footing regarding all that. My husband was the executor of his mother's estate and we learned a LOT during that process. It was very confusing, all the bureaucratic requirements.

    I can commiserate with your need for more alone time. I hope that you are able to get that time and feel restored.

    Your flowers and cards are so beautiful! I know that recent cricut cartridge was a splurge, but it really is quite lovely. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was able to get a few cards made up this week for my stash of greeting cards. I have a few birthdays coming up in April and May so I would like to get ahead of that. If I can make more than I need, maybe I can try to sell some.

      I have discovered that it is not an easy job to be an executor of someone's will. There is a lot involved which I was not prepared for. I made too many assumptions, and yet I imagine that most spouses list their significant other as their executor. In my case, I listed my children as my joint executors, but I will be making some changes in that regard. I will want to make things as easy as possible for them, so I will be doing some things differently.

      Delete