Sunday, April 30, 2017

Frugality this week

May is the first month that I will be living on my new income. It will be hard getting used to, but fortunately I have a little wiggle room because of money in my savings account. I also received a statement from Ontario Hydro that shows me that my electricity usage is slightly up from my most efficient neighbours since the start of February. How can that be??? I thought I was doing very well. As a result of this news, I have been checking around the house looking for other ways of cutting down my expenses.  First off, I will have my son pack up and move his growing cabinet to his apartment. I discovered that he has a grow light inside the cabinet that is on, because he is presently growing cactus from seed. I thought the cabinet was just holding petri dishes, pots and growing medium in storage. I bought a second power bar with a surge protector from the Thrift Store this week. I have all the computer components on one bar so that I can turn everything off at night. I have also put all the TV components on a power bar and  I am also turning off the aquarium light when I go to bed.  I am trying to hang all of my laundry outside now that the weather is improving. Tomorrow, on the first of May, we start our summer hours with Hydro One. This means I also have to reschedule some of my daily tasks so that electricity is being used less between 11 AM and 5 PM (the direct opposite of winter hours) so that I am being charged  less. Between 7 PM and  7 AM still remains the lowest hydro rates, as well as the weekends. 

So these are my frugal tasks this week.....

I fed the outdoor compost bin my kitchen scraps. 

I called a friend on Thursday who I have not seen since my husband's funeral and we went shopping together. I first went into the Hardware Store to buy an 8 piece painter's set and 2 packages of electric outlet covers.
10 covers for $2.97  I have several to replace.

 Tray and liner, 9 1/2" and 4" roller frames,  and two rollers for each. At 45% off, it only cost me $5.97

 I bought some more plastic clothespins and a sheet of coloured rhinestones for card-making from Dollarama. Besides the power bar I bought at the thrift store, I also bought a set of brand new drapery holders for a bar I was given. I used a 30% off discount card on those purchases. I can now hang two sets of white cotton draperies in the upstairs windows in the front of the house, that my SIL gave me. I spent $41.80 on groceries, including two gallons of white vinegar for my weed control. 

I made soup from veggie stock I made.

I used my yoghurt maker for the first time yesterday to make all this yoghurt. It turned out beautifully. I will sweeten and flavour it with my failed "strawberry jam" that I made last summer but it didn't set up.
 Made with whole milk I bought on  Thursday that was 50% off the regular price. 

I made a Mother's Day card, Father's Day card,  four masculine birthday cards, and a couple of birthday cards with butterfly cuts from my new Cricut cartridge. 
 I made more laundry powder, washed a few loads of laundry, used vinegar in the rinse water, and hung on the clothesline to dry. 

I turned off the furnace for a couple of days when the weather was nice. 

I did a few hours this week pulling weeds and pruning shrubbery. 

The lawn mower is not working. I looked for and found the business card of the small engines repairman that Rick used. I also have the repair manual, so I will call him tomorrow morning to see if he can fix the machine and give it a proper tuneup and blade sharpening. 

A dear friend is coming one day this week to give me a much needed boot in the rear-end to help me get some lingering  issues cleared up. I have let my anxiety take control lately, which has resulted in my putting my head in the sand and hoping things will resolve on their own. I have run out of steam and she will stoke the fires to get me back on the track. She has been making a list of what needs to be done, and together we will tackle it. 

Tonight I have made a cabbage roll casserole which makes a lot of food using only one lb of ground meat. I will be able to freeze some for future meals.




4 comments:

  1. I have yet to try my new-to-me yogurt maker. It's one of those things on my To Do List that I hope to do while I'm not blogging. Good on you for using yours! How was the yogurt?

    It's wonderful that your friend can come and help re-energize you.

    I hope the lawnmower repair won't be pricey. That's an upside to our drought, we haven't had to mow in weeks. Everything is burnt. We went to check out Revel's Pond yesterday, where Greg went fishing a lot last year, and almost all the pond water is gone. We could actually walk almost to the center of it. We wondered where the alligator that used to live there was... we never saw it. I looked behind my shoulder quite a bit as we walked through the brush all around the pond's edge.

    It's perplexing as to why your electrical bill was so high but what great steps you are taking in trying to unplug those power vampires! I wish we were as diligent as you. We have lots of things that stay plugged in all the time, even though they are on power strips, but we have so few outlets throughout the house that turning off the power strip means turning off pretty much everything, which is really impractical.

    Lastly, I love your cards, as always. Have you made more for that store where you had dropped some off at one point? I didn't dream that you did that, did I? There's a British blog that I read once in a while and the pensioneer makes her cards too and I know that she sold a few via a store so now I'm wondering if I confused you two. If I did, I'm sorry. Sodapalooza has started again and I think the latest headline about diet soda causing dementia might be completely correct :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No, you don't have dementia from drinking too much diet soda (interesting) and no, you didn't dream about the store. I was asked to make some cards for a gift shop on Amherst Island; however, I didn't realize at the time that that was the last weekend. They don't reopen for the season until Mothers' Day. In the meantime a friend of a friend has shown interest in purchasing a boxed assortment of cards. I will let her pick the ones she wants, and perhaps give the rest to the Island Shop to try and sell over the summer. If they don't sell, I can use them all in my own stash. No harm, no foul.

      Although my hydro bills have not been high lately, when I went on-line to have a look-see, I found that I am using more Kw/hr than what is normal, and most of that appears to be in the evening. Therefore, I need to pay attention to things that may remain on during the night. The biggest culprit I believe is the grow cabinet of my son's that I mentioned. I will have him remove it sometime this week, if possible.

      Delete
  2. Susan, I find it hard to believe that you are using more electricity than your neighbors, but it sounds like you are doing just about everything you can to bring it down! Can you ask them to come out and do an energy audit? Perhaps that might help?

    I'm sure you'll do just fine with living on your new income, but I am glad you have a little wiggle room. Just keep good accounts and make adjustments as needed.

    I'm glad your friend is coming to help you deal with some things. I, too, tend to bury my head in the sand and hope things go away or resolve themselves. Often, I end up paying the price for ignoring things, because they grow into bigger issues!

    Your cards are beautiful! You are so talented!

    Hope you have a good week ahead of you. Take care.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. By checking my on-line billing, it seems I have increased my usage by more kw/hr. I think I have found the culprit though. Hopefully my usage bills will also go way down during the summer months. They usually do. I have budgeted more than I need so I will have a small reserve going into the darker, colder months next winter.

      Yes, I have wonderful friends. And this friend just seemed to know that I was running out of steam. It will be a big help to me if she were to focus me on what remains to be done. Have yourself a great week ahead.

      Delete