Monday, July 2, 2018

Daybook: Monday, July 2/18


Outside my window.....there is no breeze. In fact, the air is not moving at all  so the heat feels stifling. I am sitting inside with the portable A/C unit on and all the fans are blowing. The grass is still green and growing well and definitely needs another haircut, but it may not be this week as the temperatures are supposed to remain high.

I am thinking.....of how comfortable it felt last evening on the Island. There was a lovely breeze off the water which made all of our outdoor activities a lot of fun.

I am thankful for.....good friends.

From the kitchen.....I made a pot of iced tea last night so it would be cold and ready for me this morning. I shredded a cabbage and cooked it in my crock pot yesterday. I would like to make my moussaka today but I will have to move a fan into the kitchen while I fry the slices of eggplant. I could bake it in my roaster on the front verandah so the oven needn't be on. It will last me 3 days and tastes very good cold.

I am wearing.....pale green Bermuda shorts and a long flowy cotton muslin top with embroidered flowers. (not my usual working attire)

I am creating.....more "Thinking of You" cards that are ready to mail out tomorrow (government departments are closed today for their Canada Day holiday) and a few more birthday cards for July and August.

I am going.....nowhere today. I am not sure what is open and I don't need to spend anything.

I am hoping.....my friend who celebrated her birthday yesterday has a safe trip today. She is on holiday for two weeks  to visit another good friend near Owen Sound. I know the two of them will have a great time together.

I am hearing.....the A/C unit working hard.

Around the house.....it is looking less cluttered with items moved and organized and the floors vacuumed, but there is still lots to be done.

One of my favourite things.....(need I say?) air conditioning.

A few plans for the rest of the week.....are the same as usual. If the weather allows, I would like to get some yard work done. The lawns need mowing and the flower beds at the back need more weeding. I still need to do some pruning and I need to look after the weeds on the brick and stone patios and pathways with my weed killer. I remain way behind in my housekeeping. If the temperatures are too uncomfortable, I have a lot of "sit-down" jobs I can be doing. There are no scheduled appointments or social plans going on this week.

Here's the picture I am sharing.....

 Yesterday, as you know, I went over to Amherst Island late in the afternoon with a bunch of friends to help in the celebrations of both Canada Day and my friend's birthday. We do this every year. But one of my personal  highlights is the small parade that usually takes place in any small agricultural village in Ontario. I could be describing this one, or the one that takes place every summer here in Odessa, or the one in Lucan Ontario outside of London, where we used to live. They are pretty much the same. There are people on bikes, walkers, service clubs, farm animals, classic cars and/or farm equipment  all decorated for the occasion. The smaller the parade, the more endearing to me. I have never enjoyed the big city parades because of the crush of people and the traffic and the parking issues. These are parades you walk to or sit in your own drive to watch. They are very short, but people stay alongside the route long afterwards to talk and visit with their neighbours. I love'em. I have been in my share of them, with my kids, and then my grand kids. I am so disappointed that while I took two photos of the pipers that started the parade, neither of them took. I would appreciate receiving the ones that my friends may have taken. Please and thank you.



 The fire department is ALWAYS represented at the beginning of EVERY parade.

Classic cars...red and white, of course.

 Service groups

A piece of cherry pie from the 4-H pie club.

 Bicyclists, of every age.

 Agricultural groups
And bringing up the rear.....

4 comments:

  1. What a wonderful parade! Sounds like you had a great time with your friends. I like the sound of that portable a/c unit! Does it need to be vented outside? I looked at one in the stores here, but it needed to be set up so that a flexible drainage pipe had to be let out from a window.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was a wonderful parade and we had a great time. Thank you.
      The portable A/C unit has a plastic expandable shield that the plastic hose vents through, so I have it on the bottom window sill with the window resting down on it. I will show you a picture of it in today's post.

      Delete
  2. Sounds like fun! We have yet to set up our new portable AC unit in my Daughter's bedroom (aka the Gaming Lair now). I was waiting for Greg to do it but when I mentioned it, he said "oh we weren't that hot the last time we played up there". I have a feeling I might need to do it myself, lol.

    I hope you're keeping cool and hydrated. I can't imagine how people managed without AC all those years ago, and wearing wool clothes as well!

    Have a great week, Susan.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes, I am staying very comfortable thank you. I agree, it must have been difficult staying cool back in the day. For one thing, they had a summer kitchen. My house was built before Canada was even a country. It had the remnants of a summer kitchen I believe at the back of the house. It came down with the old stable, and we have since made that area into my craft room and a sunken patio. That sounds glamorous. It really is not.

    ReplyDelete