Sunday, July 1, 2018

Happy Canada Day and 5 Frugal Things

It is just so difficult to believe that a few days ago we had a cold snap and now we are in the midst of a heat wave. It is very hot and muggy outside and not the kind of day you want to spend outdoors. But today is Canada Day and a bunch of us will be traveling later this afternoon over to Amherst Island to celebrate both a friend's birthday and Canada's birthday. My contribution to the potluck will be cheese, kielbasa and a cold fruit punch.  Last night when it was time for dinner, I ate the leftover roasted veggies and cottage cheese straight from the fridge. The thought of eating a warm meal did not appeal whatsoever. I am sure the same will apply today.

On Friday I did manage an hour or more outside pruning lilac bushes from the back garden and pulling weeds. All the shredded paper that I have been saving over the past few months went on the freshly weeded flower bed as a mulch. When it got too uncomfortable to continue, I came inside and made cards at the dining room table under the ceiling fan. That was good. My riding lawn mower was finally returned to me (I think it has been gone for one month). It needed a lot of work...3 new tubes in my tires, a new battery and new diode, as well as a general tune-up.  Anyways, it cost me $275. He dropped it off at the very back of the property and made me turn it on and drive it using the mower deck back to the house, which was well worth the money I spent because he was the first to show me how to use it and stayed with me in case I needed help (which I did), so now I will be tackling the lawn on my own this coming week. Yay me. I also watered my indoor plants and made up another 2 gallons of weed killer. I had soup for lunch and cheesy veggie casserole with Italian sausage for dinner. Snacks included avocado, blueberries and yoghurt,  and cottage cheese.

Yesterday morning I was awakened by a heavy thunderstorm at 5:30 but went back to sleep. Unfortunately, it didn't cool things down but added more moisture to the air. I spent the whole day at the dining table making cards and inserting birthday sentiments in the 10 card set I am gifting my friend today on her birthday. This has been my birthday gift to her for years. I make her birthday cards with envelopes and a roll of stamps that she uses throughout the summer and fall. I gift her again at Christmas. I did nothing else all day because it was just too hot to move. I finally broke down and set up my portable air conditioner that I got for free when I stayed in Elliot Lake this past Spring. It is too heavy to carry upstairs, so I set it up in the dining room which is the centre of the house and naturally the darkest and coolest room. It seems to be doing the trick. It is not really cold  because it has a huge area to cool, but definitely makes a difference. Last night I just had a cool shower and slept with the fan blowing over me. That was enough. If it gets much hotter, I can always sleep downstairs.

This morning I hung out a load of washing and chopped up a cabbage to cook today in the crock pot. It worked out very well earlier in the week. It is another scorcher, so I will probably stay inside until it is time to leave for the dock. This weekend I am only noting FIVE Frugal accomplishments that are different from the ones I listed last week.

  • I repaired a bunch of old hanging file folders with glue and 2-way tape for my new filing box, instead of buying new. 
  • I made lots of my homemade weed killer and applied to the graveled areas of the drive and yard. 
  • I replaced  two AA batteries in my clock and wireless mouse with rechargeable batteries, and then recharged those ones for future use. 
  • I mended (hand stitched) a bottom fitted sheet and pillow slip cover.
  • I will gift my friend for her birthday with a hand-made gift of a set of birthday cards.
I brought in a small bouquet of lavender to enjoy inside. 

Enjoy your Canada Day long weekend.


4 comments:

  1. Happy Canada Day to you and your fellow Canadians!

    Sounds like you've spend a very productive couple of days, even in the heat! Staying indoors, under a fan, is the best thing to do when it is too hot!

    I hope you have a wonderful evening with your friends and it cools down enough for you to be comfortable.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you Bless. It was a perfect evening on the Island for all of those outdoor activities. There was the loveliest of breezes and I am sure it was much more comfortable than on the mainland. It was a wonderful time with friends.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Happy Belated Canada Day! I wasn't able to log in yesterday to wish it to you, and I didn't have your email address on my phone to email you from the road either. I hope you had a fabulous time with your friends.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nathalie. It was absolutely fabulous. Thank you for the wishes. I know your holiday is coming tomorrow, so I will wish you a Happy 4th of July now since you may not see this response until tomorrow anyway. Do you have any particular celebrations or traditions for that day? I remember that last year you made special cocktails and watched the fireworks over the lake from your front patio. That sounded like a lot of fun.

    ReplyDelete