Tuesday, July 3, 2018

How I am Dealing With the Heat

People have been wondering about the used portable A/C unit I was gifted this past Spring. I do have some old A/C window units that I have used in the past, but they are VERY heavy and cumbersome to set into the window openings all by myself. The screens have to be removed first and then it is quite the balancing act to set it into the small space so that the unit tilts back to drain the condensation, but not so far back as to drop. There are always gaps around the unit that you need to plug up, and I have generally used small towels that I wrap around the unit and tuck into areas to keep out the mosquitoes and other flying insects. They did the job, but because the big solid unit sits in the window, they cut half the light that can enter.  I am getting older and it is getting harder to install  on my own. When I was given this portable unit, I was very excited.

So here is my unit rolled up to my dining room window. I chose this room because it is the centre of the downstairs. It is naturally shaded because the back door faces North and does not get direct sunlight and this window is under the front verandah. There is a plug here so the unit can be directly plugged in. It is not recommended that you use an extension cord with air conditioning units. The hose from the back of the unit goes through a plastic wall that expands from the middle and can be locked into place with two screws that you can see to the right of centre where the two walls overlap. You do not have to remove the window screen and the window comes down and rests on top of the expandable wall, so you can still receive most of the daylight that enters.  Easy peasy. This is an older model WindChaser, so I think it still uses Freon (which is no longer used in A/C). The dial on the left is a timer that indicates 1 hr to 8 hrs. or continuous use. The dial in the middle has low fan, high fan, low A/C and high A/C. The dial on the right is the thermostat. I only use the fan during the morning. As the house heats up, I turn the A/C on.  Elsewhere in the house, I have two ceiling fans on and a table fan that I can move from room to room. Right now it is blowing across me as I type this at the main computer in the front room. Yesterday it was in the kitchen as I stood at the stove frying up the ingredients to make moussaka.
Upstairs I have a bigger table fan that blows across me while I sleep. It is so warm upstairs when I go up at night, I take a cold shower first before lying on top of the  bed and the fan is enough to keep me cool until morning. I keep the bedroom  windows open all the time during the summer. I get my best sleep in the morning and today I didn't wake until 9 AM. If it were to get much hotter, I have the option of sleeping downstairs. But for now, all is good.

So I mentioned making moussaka yesterday.
I make a 9x13 pan so I slice and fry up two large eggplant in olive oil...a lot of olive oil. The slices really soak up the oil.
I place the fried slices on paper toweling or serviettes to soak up some of the oil, then place enough slices to layer in the bottom of the pan or casserole. I then use the same pan with the remaining bit of olive oil to brown some red onion and minced garlic cloves, then ground meat and spices, and finally some diced tomatoes and simmer until most of the liquid is evaporated.
Sorry bad photo. I then place this mixture on the first layer of eggplant.
Place the rest of the slices on top.
Pour the quick and easy Bechamel sauce over top and sprinkle on some Parmesan cheese.
I placed inside my electric roaster preheated to 350 degrees to bake in my makeshift "summer kitchen" underneath my verandah. That is the same window that my A/C unit vents out of.
Mmmm. Dinner is served. I had 1/3 of it yesterday after I let it cool down.  There still is two more dinners left. The best part is....it is yummy served cold straight from the fridge. No need to cook. My recipe comes from here.

I have been making my iced tea at night, so I have a full pitcher every morning to start the day. Also, I have been keeping bottles of tap water in the fridge so I stay well hydrated. I hope that all of you are dealing well with the heat. I am not getting much done around the house but I am okay with that. I know that it will wait for me.




4 comments:

  1. Susan, thank you for posting a picture of your portable a/c. The one I saw at the store was a different model, but, it, too, had that vent hose. My windows are the type that slides to the side; if I buy a portable a/c, I'd have to install the expandable plastic piece vertically, instead of horizontally. I might go and take a look at measurements and see if that works. For now, I have a window unit in my bedroom that my friend M helps to set up (like you, I find it too heavy to lift, especially since my bedroom window is set high in the wall, over my head). We haven't set it up, yet, since it hasn't been hot enough. But, a portable unit in the family room or living room might be nice.

    Your moussaka looks good. Good idea to bake it in the electric roaster!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That plastic expandable piece would definitely work inside a side sliding window. Some portables have a tray underneath to catch the condensation. I couldn't find one on mine, so I went on-line to see if I could find a manual. It turns out that this particular one does not have a collection tray. The condensed water is supposed to evaporate and leave through the large air hose. But if there is too much moisture in the air, the machine will shut down and you have to pull down a small drainage hose (which I found) and drain out the excess water into a container. So I am liking the fact that I won't need to empty out collection trays on a regular basis. The price of these portable units are going down all the time, so you may be able to buy at a great price.

      Delete
  2. All we did with our AC unit was take it out of the box and, like you, we have the sliding plastic part that will sit under the window. However, our windows in that bedroom are TINY so we're going to need to cut that part down quite a bit. I sure hope we don't damage it. I don't think our unit has a thermostat? I'm not even sure. I think it's just an ON and OFF switch but I could be wrong.

    I wish I could have an outdoor kitchen on our front porch too! But I need to get an electrician to install an electrical outlet on the porch first. For now, I just set my roaster on the patio table (since we do have an outlet off the patio) and try to cook there before the rain starts. It's not as convenient as your set-up.

    I've never had moussaka before. It looks yummy!

    ReplyDelete
  3. One section of my expandable ledge is only 24 inches, so it can accommodate any opening between 24 and 48 inches, I suppose. Perhaps they have different sized ledges that you can buy separately from the unit? By a thermostat, I am basically referring to the fact that you can make the air colder or less cold (like a dial). It doesn't really measure temperature. My mistake.

    I love this moussaka. It is a favourite recipe of mine and great to serve when I have company for dinner. I don't use ground lamb. I use whatever I have...ground beef, chicken or turkey. I use less tomatoes than the recipe calls for because tomatoes are pretty high in sugars and for the same reason, I only use 1/2 a red onion. In the past, whenever I went to a Greek restaurant, this was my favourite dish, although I really do like most Greek dishes.

    I do appreciate being able to cook under a roof in case of inclement weather. Rick put an outlet into the ceiling so it would be really handy to string Xmas lights across the roof line and the railing of the verandah and it would be protected from freezing rain or deep snow. It has worked out well for me to set up a little counter here.

    ReplyDelete