Tuesday, September 29, 2015

Amherst Island Fall Festival

An old-fashioned Fall Fair


So on this side of the farm there were lots of vendors, food and entertainment. Since I don't do any canning of my own, I picked up a few mason jars of my favourites....jams and corn relish and Island wildflower honey (so good). 


We made sure to get to the vendors very early before they got very busy later around noon. I wanted to make sure I got my goodies before they ran out. 
We have already dug into the rum and raisin apple pie jam
On this side of the entrance was where the farm animals were kept....some 4-H winners.  Love how the hay bales are decorated.
A close-up shot of the beautiful Fall decorations. Would love to have something like this at my house. 

The pig's name is Kevin....Kevin Bacon. He was someone's pet. He is on a leash. 

The kids loved the kids. 

Lots of sheep farms on the Island
No texting and driving (cattle)

Anyways, enough pictures for today. The fair was a really good time. We left for Emerald after this to get lunch and take in some of the entertainment, but we came back here to the fair afterwards later in the afternoon.

Yesterday rained all day. Today is just overcast and it is supposed to get more seasonal (cooler) overnight. Still I washed a load of towels and bathmats and hung them outside on the line. My Sweetie Pie has driven out past Kingston to meet our friends halfway from Charleston Lake, as she has some apples to give me. I'm excited to receive those. Tomorrow I will use my crock pot to make as much apple sauce as possible. He has combined this trip to pick up some bread and milk. The day-old bakery outlet is on the way. I have a package of frozen chicken legs and quarters in the crock pot now. I will pull the meat off the bones to make dinner tonight and to freeze some for later casseroles or pot pies. I will make chicken stock with what is left. I also made some more Ragin' Cajun spice mix because I was out, and I love to roast vegetables using this mix.

Today I hope to start wrapping some of the Advent calendar gifts that I have picked up already,  and make lists for each of the recipients so that I know what else I should pick up in order to finish these. Have a good rest of the day. 

1 comment:

  1. Kevin Bacon **snort** hahahaha.

    Homemade applesauce, yum! How nice of your friend to gift you those apples. Did she grow them in her garden?

    I need to remember to roast vegetables for dinner tonight. I have that acorn squash that I peeled and cut up still waiting on my counter. I'll add carrots, some celery and probably potatoes. Arrgh, and I have those cheap plantains that I need to cook as well... Off to look up plantain recipes!

    ReplyDelete