Wednesday, September 23, 2015

One potato, two potato, three potato, four...

Four and a half quart bags of carrots for the freezer, and my potato harvest.

So my potato experiment was a success I believe. Each planter netted at least 5 lbs. of potatoes each. And since we paid nothing for the seed potatoes, it cost us nothing to try. We have an assortment of white and red. We have been eating the potatoes from the first planter for  the past three days with the skins on, and they are delicious. They were also really easy to harvest. I used the pitch fork to dig down after I harvested them, but I found no others below the bottom of the planter. I certainly will try this again next year, but again I will harvest them in August. I lost some potatoes to "something" eating them. .....the result of leaving them in the ground for too long. 

The dog was rewarded today with my baking him some more dog biscuits. I should go out and mow the lawns again, but I don't think I feel up to it. We are having gorgeous Fall weather this week, so tomorrow will be soon enough. I am very glad I got the garden veggies in. Now I will be able to concentrate on weeding the flower gardens and pruning back the bushes. Have a great evening all.  

3 comments:

  1. That is amazing! How large are your planters? Can you post a picture of them? Did you hill your potato plants as they grew? I was lucky the first year I tried it (about 5 lbs as well) but it's been a complete dud since. I do have a potato grow bag, I might try that this year whenever I have potatoes with eyes. We're supposed to plant them in January down here and harvest them "when the plant dies". Hmm, my plants have been lasting for months but no potatoes develop, really.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You might remember that my potato planters were falling apart when I planted in the Spring. When I pulled them out this morning, they pretty much disintegrated, so I have no pictures to show you. I will redirect you to this post so you will be reminded of what they looked like. http://sues-retirementfunds.blogspot.ca/2015/06/my-email-account-was-redirected.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha! You're right, I had completely forgotten about your post. Sorry and thanks for the link. That worked so well for you, how pleased you must be that you were able to reuse those old planters for one more "hoorah"!

      Delete