Wednesday, September 30, 2015

Apple Harvest

I am so grateful for all these apples.

Yesterday I was going to wrap up some Advent calendar gifts. I did bring them down from the gift trunk with a few rolls of Xmas wrapping paper to my "crafting table" (yes, it is messy again). So I will be able to grab a few moments here and there to wrap a few at a time. But after I finished posting yesterday, my Sweetie arrived home with this bounty from my friend in Charleston Lake. She got some from her neighbour and some from another friend of hers. Although she still has more apples yet to process, she is taking a break today by pickling beets instead. 
Two pies for us and one for the freezer

The two groups of apples in plastic bags are Macintosh. They are soft and bruised and need to be used up asap. Yesterday afternoon I washed, peeled, cored and sliced enough apples I thought for two pies. Seems I got carried away because I had enough for three. So I stuck one in the freezer. This morning I got started again with the first bag of apples I opened yesterday. I proceeded to fill up my big crock pot. 
My crock pot is full to the brim, with 1/2 cup water and some cinnamon.

I still had some apples in that first bag, so I finished them up by peeling, coring and slicing them to put in a large freezer bag. There are enough sliced apples in that freezer bag for at least two more pies. Tomorrow, I will start the second plastic bag full. I will fill up the crock pot again and if I have any room in my deep freezer, I will freeze some more sliced apples for pies or crumbles. The two black bags have a different variety of apples (Empire I think), and they are much firmer. They can wait a little bit before I have to process them. 

It ended up pouring rain again yesterday. The towels and bath mats I hung out yesterday are well rinsed now. It is trying to clear up today. It is very breezy and we have had brief sunny periods, so I hung out another load of whites and lights. I watered my indoor plants. Last night I made chicken in gravy to go with  left-over roasted vegetables. I don't have any idea of what I will make for tonight....maybe spaghetti. I forgot to mention that when my son's girlfriend came for dinner last Friday night, she brought with her from work a huge pan of Greek salad that was leftover from a work lunch. The caterer brought two pans but they never even finished the first one. She volunteered to take the extra pan, which she brought to our house. We had Greek salad every night from Friday to Monday. It was so yummy. 

And now for your viewing pleasure.....entertainment from Amherst Island. 



There was a Music Festival in Emerald. Irish musicians from all over came to entertain all day and late into the evening. 
Some Irish dancers approaching the plywood  stage on the ground. These girls were from the Kelly School of Irish Dance in Belleville. 
Meanwhile, back at the Harvest Fest, there were country bands.

Demonstrations:
 Pressing apples to make juice


Pumpkin bowling anyone?

How about a race involving rolling bales of hay?
Or maybe a race hammering nails is more your speed.

There is something for everyone at a country fall fair. I have no photos, but there were food concessions and a brown bag auction taking place as well. All of the events on the Island were free, except for the three day stone walling workshop if you signed up. I spent money on a barbequed hamburger, hotdog, tea and piece of pumpkin pie, as well as the preserved foods I picked out. I also donated money  for a raffle ticket. Obviously I didn't win. Or they can't make out my phone number. Oh well. 

1 comment:

  1. I hope you found room in your freezer for your apples! What will you do if you can't find any?! Your pies look delicious. I just watched a show called "A Few Good Pie Places" on TV yesterday and your pies look just as yummy as the ones on the show!

    How wonderful that in addition to the free apples you got a week's worth of free Greek salad as well! I love getting free food :)

    The festival you attended looked like loads of fun. My youngest son would have loved it, he enjoy Irish music and all things Irish, for some reason. He was very excited that our layover on our way to Paris was in Dublin, even though we didn't leave the airport, hahaha.

    Maybe you won the raffle and they're just taking their own sweet time to contact you! I'm always convinced that I will win raffles because I did win one a few years ago with quite a large prize but I haven't won anything since, although not because I don't try, lol.

    ReplyDelete