Sunday, September 13, 2015

More Holiday Crafting

It was Saturday and it was raining. Those are two very good reasons not to want to do anything. So I spent most of the day yesterday taking all those birthday sentiments that I looked for this week, and put them into separate documents to print out for cards when I am ready. It is a HUGE job, but I am so glad it is done.
And since I had new sentiments ready to go, I put together five cards with those water coloured images I had painted.  One will go out into the mail later in the month for another September birthday. The other four will be saved in my stash to go towards making up card packs as gifts. I include the envelopes and postage stamps.  

Even though I am crafting, I try to get other things done that don't require a lot of supervision. I cooked up five chicken leg quarters. I washed dishes (in the dishwasher). I did up laundry (in the washing machine). I made chicken stock (simmered in the crock pot). At some point, I have to stop the crafting for a while to put the dishes away, hang the laundry, and pull the meat off the chicken bones and do something with them; but while things are happening on their own, I have time to concentrate on my crafting. 

So I got enough meat to make chicken stir fry with one lot and I froze another for a casserole. I bought fresh bean sprouts on Friday morning to make a Chop Suey, but forgot it was made in the crock pot until I started to make dinner around 4 o'clock. I sauteed the last red pepper in my fridge, as well as some of my frozen broccoli, carrots and green beans, and added the sprouts. My husband isn't fond of plain white rice, so I served it over Chinese noodles (Ramen). I have a large container of veggie broth in the freezer and a jar of it in the fridge to use in cooking this week. I will have a container of chicken broth for the freezer as well. 

So on the subject of crafting, I am posting some more very poor photos of some Xmas gifts that I have made in seasons past. They might give you some ideas for things you want to try making as stocking stuffers. In the photo below, the packaging I made from here. The graphic and printable poem came from here. The website at organized Christmas has a lot of free printables and ideas for gifts. I have used a few of them. 
Snowman soup is instant hot chocolate, mini marshmallows, a candy cane or peppermint stick and Hershey's kisses.
This is a photo I have taken from the internet. My bracelets last year were similar. They are wraparound bracelets made with memory wire....so easy. 
The year before, I made paper  bead necklaces for the women and bracelets for my grand daughters made with elastic cord. 
Survival kits are fun to do. I got my inspiration from Budget 101.

On the left is a decorative cover for large post-its and an accompanying pen slot. Instructions are from Blooming where I'm planted. The package on the right holds a chap stick or lip balm. There are lots of different patterns on the internet, but this one was made with Qbee's Quest.


Another lip balm holder on the right fashioned as a purse found at Frenchie's You tube channel  here
I have also used it to hold nail polish, or candy. I try to give a Xmas ornament every year in the kid's Advent calendars. This particular year I made them in felt.....snowflake, gingerbread man. candy cane, babushka doll, etc. I haven't thought of what I will do this year. 

So there you go. A few more homemade gift ideas you may try for yourself, or not. I will send some more at a later date. Have a nice "rest of your weekend".

1 comment:

  1. Forgetting that a dish should be cooked in the crockpot until it's too late... sounds like me so don't feel bad! Sounds like you were able to scrunge up dinner quite successfully, though! It's raining here today as well and I'm using the crockpot too. I'll also be using it a couple of times this upcoming week, and I remembered that I had frozen some Red Beans and Smoked Sausage last time I had made it because we had too much so it was nice to know that one night I'll only have to cook up some rice to go with it. I really need to try and assemble some freezer meals in advance.

    I saw the picture of the bracelet with the starfish and thought "wow, that's a great picture, I wonder why she said her pictures weren't good!" and then I read that you had borrowed the picture from the internet. hahaha! When you see good pictures on my blog, it's because I've borrowed it from the internet as well :) The bracelet is very pretty. Sometimes I wish I wore jewelry (I wear a chain with a pendant that has Greg and all of my kids' names on it, and my wedding ring and 10 year anniversary diamond ring but that's it) and I lust after pieces like these. But in reality it's just not my style, as I get impatient with jewelry. I did rescue a silver starfish bracelet from my daughter's bedroom a couple of weeks ago (she doesn't wear any jewelry at all) and wore it for a couple of days but now it's been put away. Maybe one day I'll have a grand-daughter who will be into jewelry?

    I like all your crafts! Your grandchildren and friends are lucky to have you as gift-giver!

    ReplyDelete