Monday, May 8, 2017

Daybook: Monday, May 8/17

Outside my window.....It is cold and overcast. What else is new? My daffodil flowers are rotting because they have been pushed down into the ground with all the rain and have not been allowed to dry out. The grass is finally cut because I picked up my lawnmower this morning ($87) and decided to cut the front lawn right away.

I am thinking.....I will have to make time to get outdoors between the rains to get the back yard cut, or it will be too long for the lawnmower.

I am thankful for.....my son and his GF who have volunteered to stay here this coming weekend to look after the dog while I go to Bradford to stay with my daughter while celebrating my grandson's 6th birthday.

From the kitchen.....I have the other half of the turkey carcass in the crock pot making a soup broth. I baked a batch of dog biscuits on Saturday and I made a Shepherd's Pie  last night when my son and GF came for dinner. I started putting together ingredients to make chocolate cookies yesterday, but had to put the creamed butter and sugar in the fridge because I forgot I had run out of eggs. Right now I have yoghurt "cooking" in the yoghurt maker. I cut up 6 cups of stale bread and was going to add some of the whole milk that was left over from making the yoghurt to bake a bread pudding. Ha. I forgot AGAIN that I didn't have eggs, so those two ingredients are back in the fridge. I have a great memory but it is too short.

I am wearing.....blue jeans, blue socks and my new ivory and gold coloured long-sleeved T-shirt.

I am creating.....no cards last week. I did however finish up a dishcloth while watching Netflix.

I am going.....nowhere else today. I have already been out to pick up the repaired lawn mower.

I am hoping.....we finally get some sunny days this week. Enough with the rain!!!

I am hearing.....lots of bird calls today, now that the rain has slowed down a bit.

Around the house......there remains the same housework that I mentioned last Monday. I didn't do any of the vacuuming or wet mopping. There is laundry to be folded. I want to hang the draperies and do some outdoor work.

One of my favourite things.....is an afternoon nap on cold, damp day such as this.

A few plans for the rest of this week.....include two appointments at Canadian Tire early tomorrow morning. The first one at 8 AM is a brake check. My brake light came on again the last couple of days, indicating low fluid. You will remember that Canadian Tire topped up the fluid for free 4 or 5 weeks ago. Since the light is back on again, I have a slow leak somewhere. It needs to be fixed. At 10 AM, I am scheduled to have 4 brand new summer tires put on my van. I will be spending a boatload of money this week. Ugh! I will pick up some eggs on my way back tomorrow so I can finish up those two baking projects sitting in my fridge. And since my van will be practically brand new again, I may drive to Bradford this Friday instead of taking the bus or train. It just seemed too complicated and time-consuming (and expensive) to go there with all the different transfers I would end up taking. I have already forwarded money to my daughter to buy my grandson his gift. She knows best what he needs/wants and can put the money where it is needed. I will be staying for two nights and return on Sunday.

Here's the picture I am sharing.....
Yellow tulips



 The rhubarb should have been ready to pick by now, but we haven't had too many warm sunny days yet. It is almost ready. 


6 comments:

  1. Oh, don't you just hate it when you go to make something and then realize you are out of a main ingredient? Happens to me with butter and eggs, all the time! At times like that, I wish I had some frozen eggs (apparently, one can lightly beat them and freeze, in 1 or 2 eggs quantities, in ice cube trays or zippered bags; but I have never done so, myself). Shortbread cookies are what I make when I don't have eggs.

    Sounds like you've a busy week ahead. Hope you have a safe journey to visit your daughter and grandson, however you decide to travel. Have a good week and take care of yourself.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I picked up 2 dozen eggs this morning when I came home from having new tires put on. I have baked the bread pudding and am now looking after some chocolate chip cookies baking in the oven. Unfortunately, I am baking during the most expensive time of the day when it comes to Hydro rates. I will make up for it by not using the stove to cook dinner tonight. I used my gift card to buy the eggs, so no more OOP expenses. I also found 3 loaves of whole wheat bread for $1 a loaf.

      Delete
  2. Rain, bread pudding and rhubarb?!? Say no more, I'm coming over as soon as I can!

    Have a great trip to visit your grandson for his birthday! You are such a good grandma. Be safe on the road, I hope your brake problem will be fixed for good this time!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Here is hoping the brakes will be fixed by Friday, or I won't be going. They found the source of the leak. There is a valve that needs replacing that they do not carry, so it has to be ordered from the dealer. The valve is going to cost more than the four brand new tires. Labour is also going to cost more as it is a labour intensive job. They have booked me in for this Thursday morning. I'm still in shock.

      Delete
    2. Ah crap. Brakes are kind of important, though. Can you not reuse the summer tires you had last year? Do you guys get new summer or winter tires each time they have to be switched? I'm clueless. I'm sorry it's going to be so expensive. I hope you don't miss your grandson's birthday.

      Delete
    3. Last year's summer tires are done, kaput, fini. They were the original tires I'm pretty sure. I needed all new tires. Normally we buy them two at a time, so they should have been replaced a long time ago. Brakes are important too, so I am biting the bullet and getting them done right. I was kind of hoping it was a small leak in a hose or a connector; but, no. As long as the valve comes in on time, they should be able to replace it before Friday. I will be going to Bradford this weekend, even if I take the bus to Whitby (half-way), and my daughter comes to pick me up.

      Delete